Arrow Crab (Dangerous?)

lerch

I just bought an arrow crab yesterday I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experinces with them? So far all he has done is stay in mostly the same spot and eat small amounts of shrimp food. Everytime a fish approaches him he will extend one of his arms to touch them and he will continue to do this until they swim away. Is he trying to grab them or just protecting himself?
Thank you

lerch

How can he eat a feather duster worm when they can retract back into their holes so quick????? I really don't want him to eat mine.
P.S. Thanks for the reply

rhearrel

I have had a couple in the past. The first one was real good at cleaning hair algae. The second was real good at pulling blue legged hermits out of their shells. Neither of them bother my feather duster though.
Good luck

dad

I'm sorry to disagree. They are not good in a tank that has fish!
I thought about getting one to help with my bristle worms(when they were concidered a bad thing). did some research. they will kill fish!

pibulljc

i had 1 and my trigger ate him the first 2 weeks (my fault) i have a maroon clown snowflake eel i was considering a lionfish what do u think

fshhub

gets 6 inhes, some even as large as 10, and they can and will eat small fish, shrimp and othrer inverts, and corals, they are not a very picky eater at all, almost anything they can grab(meaty,a nd small enough, no idea about algae or other plantlike food), i am going to say that(as with eerything is sw) sometimes there are exceptions, but rarely with this guy, if you are going to have one(i fear the thought), please make sure that you keep him well fed

rooksy

I bought one before X-mas and he is already 7 inches! He hasd eaten 2 shrimp, 2 snails and a brittle star! I HATE THEM, if anyone wants it you can have it. The thing I don't understand is on this site, they say that they are reef safe Bullsh_t, they are evil!

kris walker

Rooksy, sorry to hear about that.
I guess that experience begs the question "what does reef-safe really mean?" Will not kill coral? Will not kill coral or inverts? Will not kill coral, inverts, or fish? What does everyone think about "reef-safe"?
sam

jodeman

Got a buddy that dropped one in his tank about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and he's already cleaned out all the hermits and shrimp. Tried to tell him, but some people just won't listen.