Arrow crab eating fish ?!

pjdaley

I woke up this morning and turned the tank lights on, to my surprise the arrow crab was eating one of the damsles, it was the smallest of the damsles I bought, and the one that hid all day yesturday, and did not eat any food, that I saw.

jeffro8332

pj,
the fish was probably already dead. arrow crabs are good scavengers that will eat alot of things including bristle worms. chances are since you just put the fish in he might have been shocked from aclimation or just not survived the process. but better to have the arrow crab get him than have him decay in a rock and give you an NH3 spike.:) HTH
j

iwantacans

Originally posted by jeffro8332
pj,
the fish was probably already dead. arrow crabs are good scavengers that will eat alot of things including bristle worms. chances are since you just put the fish in he might have been shocked from aclimation or just not survived the process. but better to have the arrow crab get him than have him decay in a rock and give you an NH3 spike.:) HTH
j

well i have personally seen these thing become vicious when they bigger... literally jumping at a passing fish.. imo i would never ever ever ever ever ever put on in a tank

pjdaley

oh it was awesome, I was watching it yesterday, and when a fish tried to swim in his rock cave, he poked at it, until it left, and when I put some flakes in the tank, he SPRINTED, no joke, OVER fish, knocking them over and steping on them to get the biggest lfake, and then take a few of them back to his cave and eat it. Was pretty awesome to watch :)

jeffro8332

they are neat when they are small but as they get bigger like iwantacans said they can be evil. stepping on coral and like you said crawling and diving at pieces of food. i'll never keep another one in my reef again.
j

I get the heebie geebies looking at them.. looks like a big mean spider to me, not to say people dont think they are cool....
I am freaked out about them..
BUT, awesome PICS..
Kim

motohead

i had one that got huge.about as big around as a baseball.it killed three of my fish in as many days.i personally witnessed one of the killings.the fish he killed were also small fish.a real small fairy wrasse,a small bar goby and a small firefish.i thought maybe disease too but then i witnessed the murdering lil bastage grab a fish.at night.when the fish was crashed out.so from me to you,get rid of it.

iamcrazy

my arrowcrab ate my red banded goby and a peppermint shrimp :mad: now he sits all alone in a 20g until i can find somethin to do w/ him

S

starfishjackedme

moto -
You mean the center section was as big as a baseball? That is just freaky! My wife would flip out if i had that in my tank!

motohead

no no no,his whole body,meanin legs and all would actually fit around a softball if he wanted to.dont matter,he cost me about 100 bux in fish so back he went.............

judyk

I would get rid of it. They are neat. But, mine would rip the snails off the glass and kill them. It is also a suspect in a goby death.

Originally posted by JudyK
It is also a suspect in a goby death.

ROFLMAO..:yes:
That was just funny the way you worded it.. NOT that it happened..
Ya, I would FREAK out if I had a baseball sized arrow crab... the SMALL ones even scare me.. I HATE SPIDERS!! and thats what they remind me of... HAH
But, everyone likes different things, thats what makes the world go round!
Kim