Arrow Crabs are mean!!

goofieones

Yesterday went to a new lfs, they had some great inverts, my boyfriend really loved this huge arrow crab, it is like 5". I asked the lfs guy about them and he said that it should be fine in my 72bow front with my other cleaner shrimp. I also got some sally's and 2 huge emerald crabs. Well I come down this morning and the arrow crab is eating my fire shrimp, which of course was my favorite and cost me the most! So now I have been reading this board finding out all kinds of horror stories about these guys. So I told my boyfriend that if he eats another shrimp he will go into the tank the puffer is in and become puffer food!

oozy

you may be able to take it back to your lfs for credit. that way you both win...sort of
-Oozy-

grouperhead

bad move....arrows are mean s.o.b.'s. they will eat any and everything they can get. they will eat inverts, algea, and even fish. you need to do something with him fast before he takes out everything. bo

K

krustytheclownfish

Goofieones, do you mean the crab will go into the tank with the puffer or were you referring to your boyfriend for picking out the crab that ate your shrimp? LOL :D

paulytee

I have to agree Arrow's are 'meanies' but I guess I lucked out with mine. He is about 6 inches across now! (he came w/ my swf market leader package) He is actually the most docile invert I have and his fav. food is flake food and of course some brine shrimp!
I have a pair of white sleeper gobies who share a cave 'nook' with him and sift sand underneath his big frame! :eek:
Im realizing he is outgrowing my 72g bow front which makes me sad :( because chances are I'll never find such a nice arrow again!
Just goes to show mother nature isn't 100% predictable!!!
Take care! Paulytee :p

broomer5

Sorry to hear your Arrow's not playing nice with your shrimp.
I agree with Paulytee - you can never be 100% sure with some of these creatures.
I rec'd (1) freebie Arrow crab with an order from this site in April that was so small I didn't even see it in the bag. Was about the size of a dime including legs, and was almost clear. In 2-1/2 months it has grown to about 3 inches across. It lives in a 30 gallon and has not bothered any of the other critters. I got a large one like yours at a lfs ( 4-5 inches ) and it's in a 55 tank, and so far it has not behaved aggressivly either. I do slip them each a thawed out silverside every other day - maybe that keeps them from munching on their neighbors.
Not really sure about that - just a guess.
Brian

burnnspy

I've never read anywhere that Arrow crabs were reef safe and have seen much proof that they aren't.
BurnNSpy

krazzydart

its the circle of life!!!!if us is hungary, you eat,,,,,, so get a big hungary dude from the dealer (they only feed 1-2 times a week) and boom you reek havack on your tank.... those big claws are not just for looks!!!! but sorry for your loss, I would take it back and get a refund.... Pisssss and moan at the guy who sold it to you , make a sceane, ask for the stor manager.... who knows????? maybe you might get a new fire shrimp!!!!!!!

indy1

If arrows are not reef safe WHY are then in almost every "reef package?"
[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: Indy1 ]

goofieones

KrustytheClownFish LOL, maybe I will feed parts of my boyfriend to the puffer. Anyways, he didn't eat anymore shrimps last night. When I fed the fish he got a big piece of formula one, probably took him more than an hour to eat it, so I am sure he was full last night. I have never seen him actually attack anyone, and the other cleaners sit right by him. I figured he might have been hungry because the lfs only had him in a little 6x6 cell, and who knows when he ate last. If he keeps up the good behavior I won't have to bring him back. My plan is just to try and make sure he gets fed good and see how he does. I read some information and most places say that usually they are peaceful when fed well. Then agian I also read that they are real aggressive. So I guess it just depends on the individual.

burnnspy

To make money is my guess, many people buty them and lose out.
Lots of reef packages include sally lightfoot crabs that aren't reef safe either.
BurnNSpy

wolvesheart

I must have been lucky too. My Arrow has a leg span of almost 10 inches in a 30 gal tank and although he chases the formula around until he gets a piece he never seems to bother my other critters. He has molted 3 times in the past 3 months. the only critter that seems concerned is the camelback shrimp, but he hangs outclose to my anenomie for protection. Sorry for your loss though.

i3luedragon

What are you feeding the Arrows? I got one yesterday and it was trying to feed off one of my Hermits. I then proceeded to feed it a freeze dried baby shrimp on a claw and it grabbed that, but still had a piece of Hermit on the other claw. I want to add Cleaners so I don't want another tragedy. :rolleyes:

wolvesheart

I feed 1/2 a formula 2 cube every 3 days. I break it up in about 9 pieces and drop them in the tank at different locations. The Arrow goes after the ones that get near the bottom quickly and then settles down to eat 1 or 2 pieces. He never bothers my shrimp or fish and seems to clean my dusters but otherwise doesn't harm them. I had a 6" Bristle worm that has decided to stay in close to its hole since the arrow has grown to a span of close to 12 inches.

mantis

BurnNSpy I'm fixing to get a reef package you said the Arrow crab wasn't safe, is the emerald crab safe? The package comes with 2 emerald crabs. :)

i3luedragon

I caught my Arrow Crab clipping off limbs of a Scarlet Hermit to munch on. Tonight I caught an Emerald Crab pulling a Scarlet out of its shell and eating the Scarlet. So I dunno, doesn't seem safe to me... :mad:

goofieones

Wow, I can't beleive that the emerald crab was eating a hermit. I have 3 emeralds and 2 of them are HUGE, I love them tho. and the other is huge too, but not green, kinda light tan. But they don't bother anything, even tho they look kinda mean. Well all my inverts seem at peace now, and the arrow hasn't bothered anyone else, when I feed the fish he always runs and grabs a piece and goes into his corner and eats.

i3luedragon

My Arrow just died 5 minutes after it was walking by the Emeralds. I saw no signs of fighting or anything. I saw my Arrow move around, and I was out of the room for 5 minutes and next thing you know it died. I checked my salinity and it was 1.023, should it have been higher? It only lived for 2 days.