Asfur Angel....

saltfisher

Anyone ever had one of these? I bought one yesterday. It seems to be doing pretty good. It has not eaten yet, but i'm sure it will today. Real pretty fish.

pufferman

they are very shy by nature and they need a lot more time for acclimation than many other fishes. it might take a while until it starts feeding.

tyr-sog

I have a 5" Maculosus which is the Asfurs close cousin and all I can say is the fish is extremly shy and very skittish. It's been 8 months now and he'e still the same way. I've been contiplating on keeping him the last couple of weeks because it's almost a waste of bioload, I never see him.

saltfisher

Well, that lets me know that I will never see this Asfur. It just hangs behind the rocks. It comes out and goes right back in. If it doesn't get any better, I see it going back to the LFS. 2nd day and has not eaten.

psufan43

here is mine, i have had him for 2 yrs now, he is out all the time, very active, it takes a few days for them to adjust and eat, try live muscles from the supermarket

tyr-sog

Here's a picture of the Maculosus. Yhis is like once in a bluemoon shot because he's so skittish. You can see that I have to feed him to even get a shot and even so I have to drop the food and shoot as fast as I can..lol I just took it about 5 minutes ago. He's 5 inches, eats everything and is vert territorial.
I'm sure Mr. Tuna saw these guys on his dive too!

saltfisher

Cool. Here is the one I bought. It is starting to come out more. It eats everything I throw in. It doesn't get a chance to eat some things in there with its mates. Sorry about the pic quality. I'll get another.

brooklyn johnny

Just thought I'd add that when I got into this hobby about 15 years ago Red Sea things in general were very expensive, and asfur angels were way up there when they were offered in the neighborhood of $700. Nice to see them now with many of the large angels at around $100. I too am a benefactor of this with a Red Sea regal for just $85 (in my avatar). The maculosus angel is the model for captive bred angels now, and C. interruptus is now being bred enough in Hawaii for the price to be down to about the $400 range... anyway I'm rambling...
Nice fish!

saltfisher

The place I got mine from had both a Maculosus and a Asfur. I didn't even know the Maculosus was there. It was hiding. He had to remove a rock to show it to me. I knew that I did not want that one. I don't like fish I have to hunt for to see. It was going for $155 and the Asfur was $119. I could not see paying $700 for the fish.....well, any fish. That is a nice fish in your avatar, you own one?

brooklyn johnny

Yes the photo in the avatar is of my Red Sea regal angel... here is another shot of him... regals are very shy when young (one of the reasons you see them so seldomly offered small), but as they get larger are bold. Mine is always out and feeds from my fingers... just a disclaimer that regals are very difficult in general and are not for the novice...

saltfisher

That is an awesome fish. I have never seen one in the store before. I have heard people say they want one. I was told they were hard to keep. Looks like a nice community tank you have there. I've found that most Angels are slighyly difficult to keep. I hope I have luck with this Asfur.

brooklyn johnny

Regals were once in the near impossible to keep realm, but lately many experienced reefers have had them adapt better. However, they are still in a class by themselves as far as adaptability. Mine I purchased because he was eating like a hog. With many fish this is important but miuch moreso with these guys. I'd strongly recommend experience with other large angels before ever attemtping one... but they should not be banned from sale as some of the exclusive polyp-eating butterflies should...

mr. tuna

regal angels are reef safe???
I thought they were not?
When i dived the red sea i saw them, and emperor angels at the reefs, but i thought in captivity they were not.

brooklyn johnny

"Reef safe" is not an all or nothing denomination. There are many people with sps reef tanks that have large angels with no impact. Many fish generally considered not reef safe can be kept in reef tanks as long as the corals they bother are kept out of your tank.
With regal angels specifically, they are generally fine with sps and clams, but have a taste for zoanthids. Before getting my regal all but a few of the zoanthids I couldn't get to were removed from the system and placed in another tank. Interestingly, within four hours all of the remaining zoanthids eaten by the regal, with all of my sps, clams, ricordia, and fungia left alone.
Many large angels are low risk in sps tanks, including regals, emperors, and asfurs... the only angels 100% reef safe are those in the genus Genicanthus...

otradnoje

Originally posted by SaltFisher
Anyone ever had one of these? I bought one yesterday. It seems to be doing pretty good. It has not eaten yet, but i'm sure it will today. Real pretty fish.

you really ought to ask questions about a fish before you buy it, and try not to rely on the 'pretty fish' mentality. Also, I would suggest that you never buy a fish from a lfs if it is not eating. Especailly angels, sometimes they never take food in captivity. Ask an employee to feed it something, pellets, frozen etc.

saltfisher

Originally posted by Otradnoje
you really ought to ask questions about a fish before you buy it, and try not to rely on the 'pretty fish' mentality. Also, I would suggest that you never buy a fish from a lfs if it is not eating. Especailly angels, sometimes they never take food in captivity. Ask an employee to feed it something, pellets, frozen etc.

Whatever!