Assorted Colored Sea Serpent DEAD OR ALIVE

aloysius

I JUST BOUGHT A SERPENT SEA star FROM THE FISH STORE AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE I GOT A GOOD ONE SO I DECIDED TO SEE WHICH ONES WERE THE MOST ACTIVE THEY HAD JUST FEED THEM AND THERE WAS STILL LEFT OVER FOOD PELLETS FLOATING IN THE TANK SO ONE BY ONE I PUSHED THE PIECES OF FOOD TO THE BOTTOM WATCHING THEM WRESTLE OF THE FOOD SO I DECIDED ON THE ONE THAT HAS THE MOST ACTIVE. THE BAGGED IT UP AND I WAS ON MY WAY. I ACCLIMATED IT FOR AN HOUR FLOATING IT THEN SLOWLY INTRODUCED MY WATER INTO THE BAG AFTER A FEW MINUTES 3 TO BE EXACT IT STARTED TO SPEW OUT ALL OF THE FOOD IT HAS JUST ATE. NOW IT JUST SITS MOTIONLESS ON THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK. IT REMINDED ME OF THE SCENE FROM "TOTAL RECALL" WHEN ARNOLD FELL OUT SIDE OF THE BIO-DOME AND STARTED TO REACT VERY STRANGLY
TO THE OUTSIDE SEROUNDINGS. WHY IS IT ACTING THIS WAY? DID I KILL IT OR IS HE JUST ADJUSTING??? :thinking:

double_g2k

You do need to drip acclimate invertebrates as they are much more delicate than fish. Three minutes of adding water from your tank is not nearly enough time for it to get used to your tank variables. It is either in a massive shock or it has died. Give it some time, generally if the legs fall off it isnt a good thing.
Drip anything that goes into your tank for 2+ hours, I do cheat from time to time and only do it for 1 and 1/2 hours, but three minutes will definately shock your starfish and just about anything. Temperature acclimation is just that. Minor in comparison to the drip method. Good luck and report back to us.

ophiura

These stars also need a mature tank with pristine water parameters, in addition to the acclimation mentioned above. What are your tank parameters?