At&t phones

whyamisofl

Thinking of signing a new contract with At&t and picking up a new phone. I currently have a Blackberry, but do not want another (internet is $50 more for blackberry).
I was at the At&t store Saturday and saw a couple I liked, but thought I would ask the ca.com crowd their opinions.
I DO NOT WANT THE IPHONE!!!!!
I hate touchscreen applications.
The phones I did like were -
Pantech Slate
Pantech Matrix
Samsung Propel
I would like something with either a full QWERTY keyboard or at least a squished version of it like my blackberry has.
I will be using this phone for calls, texting (3-4k/mo), email, directions (not at&t GPS), and some surfing.
Any suggestions/opinions?? I plan on getting a new phone this weekend unless they are about to reveal a new phone that is off the chain.
Current phone - Blackberry 7130c. I love the speakerphone and quality of calls on this, but it keeps turning off on me for no reason, but have heard this numerous times from BB users.

bionicarm

OK, I guess I'm REALLY old school. I couldn't help but notice -- 3000 to 4000 text messages per month? Is that correct? Is that the norm for 'texters' these days? I'm just curious as to what you're needing to text so much. Are you doing this in areas where you're supposed to be quiet, or around someone that you don't want them to hear you talk about them? I'm really interested in understanding the concepts of someone who uses text messaging as opposed to simply dialing a number and talking to the person on the phone. I personally could never 'get' text messaging. My kids keep talking about wanting it on their phones (I took it off because my older one signed up for all these 'free text services' to the tune of $120/month in recurring fees). They call their friends anyway, but 'everyone has text messaging'. At least you get a phone that has a keyboard. I'm amazed at these people who can write these messages using a standard phone keypad. And forget about the 'Text Language' - CUL8TR, OMG, RUAROUND (sorry, couldn't resist)... Didn't mean to take your thread in a different direction, but you seem like a Text Expert.

dsgmm9

my fiance is a at&t rep and hears nothing but bad remarks about the pantech phones they have fantastic features but horrible reception as much as your going to be using the phone i suggest going with the samsung you wont regret it

stdreb27

I agree Pantech is a subpar phone. Unless they've changed their phone system they can actually sell you a blackberry without an internet data plan. They are just told not too. You might try a radioshack or other 3rd party retailer. They may not know any better or just need the sale enough to not sell you the data plans.

whyamisofl

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/2833750
OK, I guess I'm REALLY old school. I couldn't help but notice -- 3000 to 4000 text messages per month? Is that correct? Is that the norm for 'texters' these days? I'm just curious as to what you're needing to text so much. Are you doing this in areas where you're supposed to be quiet, or around someone that you don't want them to hear you talk about them? I'm really interested in understanding the concepts of someone who uses text messaging as opposed to simply dialing a number and talking to the person on the phone. I personally could never 'get' text messaging. My kids keep talking about wanting it on their phones (I took it off because my older one signed up for all these 'free text services' to the tune of $120/month in recurring fees). They call their friends anyway, but 'everyone has text messaging'. At least you get a phone that has a keyboard. I'm amazed at these people who can write these messages using a standard phone keypad. And forget about the 'Text Language' - CUL8TR, OMG, RUAROUND (sorry, couldn't resist)... Didn't mean to take your thread in a different direction, but you seem like a Text Expert.
Not a text expert and I do not use the shortcut words - I hate that. I use text at work and also when it is something quick - "pick up bread", rather than making the phone call.....that and its cheaper than a phone call, HA HA. I, being a male, hate talking on the phone. So if I can get out of a full blown conversation by texting 5-10 messages, I am there!
Originally Posted by dsgmm9
http:///forum/post/2834204
my fiance is a at&t rep and hears nothing but bad remarks about the pantech phones they have fantastic features but horrible reception as much as your going to be using the phone i suggest going with the samsung you wont regret it

I'm siding with the samsung right now, but I have also taken interest in the Tilt.
Originally Posted by stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2834211
I agree Pantech is a subpar phone. Unless they've changed their phone system they can actually sell you a blackberry without an internet data plan. They are just told not too. You might try a radioshack or other 3rd party retailer. They may not know any better or just need the sale enough to not sell you the data plans.
I want a internet data plan, just don't want to pay $50 extra because it is a blackberry.

dsgmm9

most blackberrys wont work for picture texting without the big internet package tilt is also a good phone but you will need the internet package you are trying to get away from go with the Samsung A767 Propel

whyamisofl

sounds like the propel is going to be hard to beat......
I will be getting the "big internet package", just don't want to pay the extra fee's associated with the BB and I guess the tilt also..............
ARGH!