ATI Sunpower or Aquaticlife Fixture?

drew2005

Im a lil torn betweeen these 2 fixtures. Now i know ATI is a much better product all around but im a lil disappointed. I can get the sunpower for a pretty good price but why wouldnt ATI build timers in the fixture and include bulbs? The aquaticlife comes with a built in timer and with bulbs. It also has only 1 cord compared to ATI which has 3! That means 3 seperate timers. Seems like an inconvenience to me to have 3 timers taking up space. Maybe im just being too picky. i dunno. What do you guys think? Oh and this will be going over my 75 rimless in the near future.

geoj

The multiple cords allow you to have different colored bulbs start and stop at different times of day. This will allow you to enjoy the corals full range of colors.

2quills

From what I can tell the ATI's seem to be built pretty much strictly for performance. Timers will work to control the lights but most folks who own these fixtures are usually the same types of folks that are running external lighting controllers anyway. A built in controller is just one more thing that can break down or go wrong with a fixture. I think if they threw in a controller they would have to charge more than they already do. And you have to stay competitive. Can't say that I've seen many people argue with thier performance though.

drew2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390051/ati-sunpower-or-aquaticlife-fixture#post_3451629
Agree.....but is built in timers actually that big of a deal.....
Not really. I like convenience lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///t/390051/ati-sunpower-or-aquaticlife-fixture#post_3451642
From what I can tell the ATI's seem to be built pretty much strictly for performance. Timers will work to control the lights but most folks who own these fixtures are usually the same types of folks that are running external lighting controllers anyway. A built in controller is just one more thing that can break down or go wrong with a fixture. I think if they threw in a controller they would have to charge more than they already do. And you have to stay competitive. Can't say that I've seen many people argue with thier performance though.
True. I do plan on hooking up a digital aquatic controller though.

reefraff

The AquaticLife fixture is like a loaded Hyundai. The ATI is like a entry level Mercedes. Not as many features but what's there works WAY better

flower

I went with the Aquaticlife T5HO linkable units...because I'm sick and tired of replacing my entire light system if I want to upgrade, or have a short, or anything else that could go wrong. As a plus, I was told I can get and use ATI bulbs when I replace the ones it came with, which sounded like a winner situation to me.
I looked very hard at the Aquaticlife you are looking at. I agree with 2Quills, just something more to go bad on you, and I have had my share of bad timmers. The 3 linkable units combined cost less.
I like the ATI unit, and I don't think the three cords are an inconvieniance at all because I use a master controller, and I like having the actinic run 20 minutes before the full light kicks on, and then that evening run 20 monutes longer after the full lights kick off. The fish are not startled by sudden light in the morning, and when they see the actinic alone they know it's bedtime. The moonlights let me see what creeps at night. If the master controller goes bad (it was a Coralife, and it did) I replace the controller, not the entire light, or try and take it apart the to fix it.

drew2005

And the ATI has to be hung. Which isnt really an issue. Eh ill probably go with the ATI. I like to buy quality products that will last rather than mid range unit and have problems.

deton8it

I bought the ATI Sunpower 6 x 54w for Christmas and as soon as I plugged it in my wife wanted me to move the tank because the lights were too bright. She was having problems seeing the TV due to the amount of light that the ATI was putting out. It is an awesome setup.
John

drew2005

^^hahaha that could be problem. My tank is about 5 feet to the left of my tv. Does the unit run as cool as they claim? Im getting away from halides. Im just done with the heat issues. I got almost 6 years out of my sunpod and i think the ballasts are on its way out.

deton8it

I know this might sound bad but I don't ever look at my thermometer. I have it suspended about 8 or 9 inches above the tank. I cant get pics right now because the lights are out for the night. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

zeeter

Was there a resolution to this? I know it's late but for what it's worth I am currently replacing my 6x54w Aquatic Life with an ATI Sunpower.
I've had the Aquatic Life for two years and in about a year and a half two timers have broken. One is unusable but at least I can manually turn it on and off with the other one - though whether or not it stays on throughout the day is another matter.
On the other hand, the ATI has no timer. Therefore the timer for that cannot break. Or I can put it on at power strip with a timer and go with that. If that strip breaks then no big deal - plug it into the wall until I get a new one. I don't have to worry about it going off during the day while I'm at work.
Plus the reflectors on the ATI put out about 50% more light than Aquatic Life.
The bulbs being included in the Aquatic Life are actually a negative. They are not good bulbs. Once I replaced mine with first Geisseman and then ATI bulbs I saw a huge improvement.
So really the ATI is a bit cheaper. The AQL is $529 while the ATI is $499. If you do the right thing and replace the bulbs in the AQL with proper bulbs then in effect you are paying more for a lower quality fixture.

desertdawg

ATI 6x54 over my 5ft long 120, two years old and it's still awesome...
6 to 8 inches above the water and I do not run a chiller but my heater does run quite a bit.

zeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdawg http:///t/390051/ati-sunpower-or-aquaticlife-fixture#post_3463414
ATI 6x54 over my 5ft long 120, two years old and it's still awesome...
6 to 8 inches above the water and I do not run a chiller but my heater does run quite a bit.
Good to know since I'm currently waiting on my ATI to be delivered.
How deep is a 120? I have a 75 and am wondering how high above the tank to hang the light. I need to acclimate my corals to the more intense lighting.