Atlantic Sharpnose keeper

krj-1168

Allow me to say that the Atlantic Sharpnose is my favorite free swimming "aquarium" shark.
And I hope to some day be able to keep one or preferable a small group.
Here's why.
_ they are the one smallest members of the requiem sharks (at least available in the North American trade).
_ they are regularly found in the coastal waters of North Carolina(my home state).
_ and the body shape, & profile are very similar to the Blue shark(which is actually a close relative).
I have done alot of reading from various online sources about the available information on the Atlantic Sharpnose(R. terraenovae), including size, preferred water temps, activity level, longivity, and diet.
And I'm very aware that this shark has been kept in captivity in private shark tanks.
Since this little(if you call a 3.5-4' shark - little) very active, has been kept with some degree of success.
I was wondering if you would share your experiences on keeping this shark.
Please include details - like tank sizes you used, water temps, campatibility with other sharks.

krj-1168

Presently, no.
I'm thinking of getting a 10-12ft shark pool to put a couple of pups in - although in all likelihood it will be next summer before I get the pups. I would then upgrade to a larger 18ft diameter pool as they grow.
Especially if I were to catch my own, instead of buying them.

46bfinga

if it was me i would go ahead and get the 18' pool that way you dont have to figure out a way to transfer the sharks into the new pool.possibly hurting them in the process.yeh i wouldnt buy them,seems like a wast of money since you can just go down to the pier and catch them.good luck with it.

krj-1168

Just make sure catching them is legal!
The Atlantic Sharpnose & Bonnetheads have no size limit restrictions(at least not in the Carolinas). The Only restriction reguarding Sharpies or Bonnets is the number that can be caught from a boat(only about 1-2 per vessel). They have no daily limits, if your catching them from the shore or pier.

krj-1168

Here's a some more Info on the Atlantic Sharpnose.
Here's a picture of a 46" Atlantic Sharpnose, caught & released in Texas
Common Name:
Atlantic Sharpnose Shark
Scientific Name:
Rhizoprionodon terraenovae
Alias:
"sand" shark, sharpnose, or sharpies
Maximum Adult Size:
often quoted as being about 3.6ft (110 cm), but the 2006 record catch in Texas is a 46"(116.8 cm) female. So the less often quote length of 3.9 ft (or about 120 cm) appears to be the truer maximum size.
Average Adult Size:
for males it's about 39" (99 cm), For females it's about 42" (106.7 cm)
Maximum Adult Weight:
likely about 22 lbs (10 kg)
Average Adult Weight:
about 16 lbs (or 7.25 kg)
Litter Size:
between 4-7pups
Size at birth:
about 9-13 inches (23 - 33 cm)
Size at Sexually Maturity:
about 31-35 " (79-89cm)
Age at Sexually Maturity:
roughly 2.33 to 2.67 years (28-32 months)
Longivity of species:
approx. 10-12 years for males, about 12-14 for females.

krj-1168

Here's some more info on the Atlantic Sharpnose.Geographical Distribution: found in the western north Atlantic from New Brunswick, Canada (although rarier as you travel north of Delaware) to the Florida Keys, and along the entire gulf coast of the U.S. & Mexico.
Habitat:
A very abundant small coastal warm-temperate to tropical shark - found from surf zone to a depth of about 900 ft(275 m). Also known to inhabit harbours, bays, sounds & estuaries(both marine & brackish). Sharpies are know to easily tolerate the reduced salinities of estuaries and river mouths(down to 1.012 SG).
Diet:
mostly small bony fish - like jacks, croakers, wrasses, silversides, menhaden, & snake eels. Also feeds on shrimp, crabs, molluscs(ie. clams, squid, or octopus), and segmented worms.
--- Ratio:
From an even 1 to 1 ratio along the eastern U.S coast to a 3 females to 1 male along the gulf coast.
Activity level:
a very swift moving, and highly active species of small shark.
Personality:
They are voracious feeders, but are harmless to humans.
Preferred Water Temperature:
77-86 F (25-30 C), although they can tolerate a much wider range of water temperatures - from 68-90 F (20-32 C).

krj-1168

Now - I'm a bit confused.
I was talking(through email) to my local online dealer about the Sharpnose - he said that the Sharpnose prefers water temps between 65-75F. This contradicts the online inform(from many different sources).
So what's the deal?

krj-1168

Confusion over.
I emailed a different online dealer(one from S.C.) that also carries sharpies. He basically told me that they have the same water temp preferences as bonnets(77-86F). this is backed up by the research I've done, and the answers I got back for WetWebMedia - when asked them their thoughts.

krj-1168

Here's some additional important info.
Minimum Required Tank Size:
- for pups up to 2' in length - a 750 gallon pond(8' diameter), for a single adult(up to 4') -based off the figure in "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" - a 2,000 gallon (16' long x 6' wide x 3' deep - with rounded corners) pool.
"Ethical" Minimum Required Tank Size:
- about 3,000 gallons (16' long x 8' wide x 3.5' deep - rounded corners) for a single shark. And needs at least 5,900 gallons (22' long x 10' wide x 4' deep) for a small group -up to 3 adult sharks.

S

supermanvx

nice ill snorkel with a couple...haha...i would love to have a pair, but they need sand bottoms...and personally i rather have a bonnethead if i were to have no rock...i will need your help next week by the way on this pool i got for em...