attaching mushrooms

jacksonpt

A guy is giving me a few mushrooms, and I was wondering how I can attach them to my rockwork so they don't drift around the tank. I'm not a big fan of putting foreign substances in my tank (rubberbands, glue, etc.), so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. The small colony of GSP I just got I kind of wedged in between 2 rocks... seems to be working so far. Not sure if that will work with the shrooms though.
Any thoughts? TIA

kelly

If you don't want to put foreign objects in your tank, you will have to wedge them between to rocks, or let them float around. Otherwise, you can use rubberbands, netting, mesh, fishing line, etc. It only takes a couple of days for them to attach themselves, then the foreign objects can be removed.
I have also heard that you can put a toothpick through them to anchor them until they attach, but never have tried it. You could also try something like putting a dried sea fan, or a piece of bleached coral over them to hold them in place. Be creative, all they have to do is remain in the same place for a while. Put them in an area with no current if you have one.

concon

Use crazy glue. It won't hurt the mushroom a bit. Gently touch the mushroom to make it shrink and take it out of water. Apply crazy glue on its base and attach to a piece of rock. Return the mushroom into water after that. Other alternative is to buy a small rearing box or net, put it into the tank, leave a piece of rock and the mushroom in it. The mushroom will attach itself in a couple days. :eek:

iceburg98

I asked this same question a while ago, and basically what i found is that you can use rubberbands, glue, etc.... but if the mushrooms don't like where you put them, they'll move... period. I've had it happen to me... i put a small colony of mushrooms right where i wanted it, and within a few days, one of them had detached... itried putting it a few other places i would like it to be, but it had other ideas.
Basically, your best bet would be to put the mushrooms in an area of low current with moderate lighting and hope they stick themselves there. Otherwise, you're gonna be left with some floating mushrooms (or dead ones) that may end up liking it behind a piece of LR (also happened to me...) :rolleyes: