Attaching soft coral

skeeter

I recently bought a finger leather at my LFS without it being attached to a piece of rock. The guy at the LFS told me that eventually it would attach to the rock. The problem is, the coral rocks back and fourth and sometimes falls over. How should I attach it, or should I just wait? Please be very specific because I'm new to soft corals. Thanks in advance.

brian'sreef

you can use underwater adhesive superglues to attach it to a rock.. we use a brand calles ZAP.. while i'm not sure where we get it from it's a start for ya..then all you'd have to do is find a good piece of rock and superglue it's base to that rock.. i've had experience with button polyps jumping from their superglued platforms but in your case i'm sure you'll be alright.. well good luck..
Brian

corky

I've used several types of super glues. Last time I was in a $1. store I bought a package that had 4 tubes in it. Worked for me and still working.

corky

What you do is take the rock out of the water that you want to glue it to. Take a paper towel and dry the area that you are going to glue the coral onto. Put some glue on rock(not a whole lot, this stuff sticks pretty good). Now take your coral and with a paper towel just wipe water off from same area to be glued. Join the two together and hold for a few seconds while blowing on the area to help glue dry. Return glued coral to tank.

You could also try the sandwich and rubberband method. Take two smaller pieces of rock and place the leather in between them. Put a rubber band around the rocks (make sure it isn't tight)just snug enough to hold it in place and put him back in the tank. He should attach after a while. Sometimes the superglue doesn't work.