attempting sponge

houndhome1

Hello everyone,
I am thinking of trying several sponge type in my tank. I have a 75gal with 100lbof rock I have just upgraded to an 8 bulb t-5 unit for lights. Does anyone have suggestions as to what type survives the best and placement within the tank. Thanks

fishermon

I have an orange tree sponge. It is very hardy. I placed it on the sand so when I do water changes it will stay wet. Be careful when you place a sponge in tank not to let air touch it. Air will kill a sponge. Also I keep mine away from water current so it wont bend or break. I'm waiting for this site to have a red tree available. Sponges look great!!!
Good Luck

bigsteam

I have a red ball sponge that has been in my 150 gal tall reef since July, 05. Got it on the Internet. Very colorful and about the size of a racket ball. I first placed it on the sand bottom in sort of a cave in the live rock. It would develop sort of a crust that was probably bottom detrius. I would gently brush it off with a soft toothbrush every week or so. A month or so ago, I moved it halfway up the tank. Again in a sort of cave area but with more flow. Seems happier and no crust develops. Tank has 3 X 150 W MH 8 hrs daily plus 2 Actinic 12 hrs plus moonlight for 3 hrs.
You probably know this but sponges always need to be submerged. Never, never allow the sponge to be exposed to air. Air bubbles will form in the pores and it will starve to death. Just means you acclimate it longer with more of your tank water to displace the water it was shipped in.
Hope this helps.