Attention all Typhoon RO/DI owners

maelv

Okay, I have read quite a bit of posts on this type of RO/DI unit. It seems that many have the typhoon III and absolutely LOVE it. And I have gone to the website and they have 3 different types of the RO/DI units I am looking at:
Compact reefkeeper ($139)
Typhoon 5 stage reefkeeper($149)
Typhoon III ($199)
Like I said, I have looked at their website and looked at the different units, but to be honest with you, that stuff is foreign to me, so I can't make heads or tails between the units.
I have a 135 gallon and I am planning on filling it in the next week (FINALLY
). I would like to stick with the Reefkeeper to be honest with you.
Help please with information on the units. Another thing is that, the small room I built for my tank is not really a functional "FISH ROOM", just put up some walls to give the appearance that it is in the wall. So I was thinking of using my RO/DI unit with the water hose.....any suggestions on where else this any of these things could be mounted would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you all in advance.
Ismael

geridoc

I have the typhoon III, and am very happy with it. It installed easily and produces very high quality water (0 tds, down from 175 at the tap). I use a flotation device, so the automatic shutoff of the III is handy, as is the DI bypass, which extends the lifespan of the membrane and the DI cart. As for where to locate the unit, you want it near where you are going to put the mixing tank. You can use a hose from the faucet to the purification unit, but have to use water-quality tubing (included with the units) to take water from the output to the mixing tank.

maelv

Thanks GeriDoc....I am still reading on the units, trying to see if I can make sense of all this stuff. How long did it take from when you ordered it for them to deliver it to your door?
So I can set the unit up in the garage, and run the hose to it to fill it up....don't have to have it actually hooked up to the water source going to the rest of the house?

f14peter

Indeed, it can be confusing and overwhelming to the uninitiated (like me!!!).
The differences between the Typhoon units is that I believe the III comes with a TDS meter, DI bypass, and fast-flush function . . . don't know about the Compact Reefkeeper.
As for location, remember that you'll need to do something with the waste-water. Do you have a laundry area? If so, that's a real good option as it comes with a water source (Use a Y-fitting to tap into the faucet feeding the washing machine) and a drain (Again, for the washing machine) for the waste-water. If the treated water bucket is merely close (Doesn't have to be directly beside the unit) is good enough, I have about 10-12 feet of tubing going from my unit to my bucket.
Actually, anyplace you have a water source and drain can work. Many RO and RO/DI units are intended to go under the sink and contain the fittings necessary to access water and drain.
These units are so simple that they can also be set up on an as-needed basis. The AirWaterIce units even come with a no-cost option of an attachment for a standard kitchen sink faucet or garden hose faucet so it could be put in the kitchen, attached to the faucet, the waste-water tube put down the sink drain, and then all put away after you're done.

maelv

Thanks f14peter. I belive I have the solution. I just hadn't read through it completely. The Compact Reefkeeper does come with a TDS meter as well. And the optional accessory (the hose and Y combo) they sell looks like it will do the trick. So let me know what you think.
I have a sub basement. That is where the washer and dryer is at, as well as the sump pump for the house. So I get this hose and y combo (more than likely save the $8 and get the water hose connector that comes with it, go to lowes and buy a Y connector for a hose and save that extra 8 bucks), connect it to the washing cold water connection of the washing machine. Use my home sump as the drain.....
If I do that...I can probably place (because I am assuming here, that I can run tubes anywhere I may want to place the unit providing that I have water supply and drain--am I correct in my thinking) the unit inside the room I made, so I can have everything handy, and not have to go up and down steps with the water after mixing....
Thoughts?

sfoister

How much waste water is created in relation to product water? I'm going to fill my 75 gal, but if filling a 75 gal with an ro/di unit is actually going to consume 150 gallons of water, I'm going to want to save this water for drinking or something. I can't see wasting so much water. I live in Florida, surrounded by water sure but water bills can be high.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by sfoister
How much waste water is created in relation to product water? I'm going to fill my 75 gal, but if filling a 75 gal with an ro/di unit is actually going to consume 150 gallons of water, I'm going to want to save this water for drinking or something. I can't see wasting so much water. I live in Florida, surrounded by water sure but water bills can be high.
It produces a large amount of waste water. My Typhoon III fills a five gallon jug in 1 hour. That's with the attachment to the faucet in my bathroom sink, with the sink on full. I'll exeriment later and figure out how many gallons of waste water it produces an hour. It's gonna be a high number.

bpd

Originally Posted by maelv
That is where the washer and dryer is at, as well as the sump pump for the house. So I get this hose and y combo (more than likely save the $8 and get the water hose connector that comes with it, go to lowes and buy a Y connector for a hose and save that extra 8 bucks), connect it to the washing cold water connection of the washing machine. Use my home sump as the drain.....
I got the Typhoon III - ordered it thursday and it was delivered today.
I finished hooking it up and turned it on literally 15 minutes ago. Works like a charm - 121ppm from the tap and now i've got DI water at 0ppm.
You probably can get a Y adapter somewhere else and save a couple bucks, but i'm not sure about the part that hooks the 1/4" plastic tubing to the water hose. Probably worth spending couple extra bucks getting it from AWI and saving you the aggravation trying to find it at the store.

maelv

Originally Posted by bpd
I got the Typhoon III - ordered it thursday and it was delivered today.
I finished hooking it up and turned it on literally 15 minutes ago. Works like a charm - 121ppm from the tap and now i've got DI water at 0ppm.
You probably can get a Y adapter somewhere else and save a couple bucks, but i'm not sure about the part that hooks the 1/4" plastic tubing to the water hose. Probably worth spending couple extra bucks getting it from AWI and saving you the aggravation trying to find it at the store.
Thanks for the info....what are your thoughts of the Compact Reefkeeper? I think that is the route I am going to go. I think that will be plenty for my needs. I am going to fill the tank this weekend, but won't be using regular tap water as I questioned in another post. This new LFS near me is going to give me some of his RO water for $.25 a gallon. Not only that, he is going to lend me some of his buckets and containers to bring the water home. I will probably need about 150 gallons of water. He's got that $700 commercial one that is on AWI.
1journeyman....have you any thoughts of the compact reefkeeper?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by maelv
1journeyman....have you any thoughts of the compact reefkeeper?
Not familiar with it, but I will say the company is great at customer service. Call them, they'll walk you through whichever is best for you.

f14peter

Originally Posted by bpd
The pieces-parts are available elsewhere, such as at the local Lowes, but it was a cobbled together gizmo with stuff from about 3-4 different little bags. No way I could have put it together without the help of one of the employees . . . probably the first time one's ever been really helpful.
Agree, get the part from AWI.

ccgpa

I have a Spectra Pure unit and was wondering what the rankings of RODI units are. What is the best? Worst? Discussion..
Thanks.