Attn: Attml

nas19320

I noticed in a past post that you have 2x250w MH on a 55 gallon. I am looking into getting MH for my 55 but the one worry I have is the heat issue. Do you run a chiller on your 55?

attml

Nas19320,
I do not run a chiller but my house stays pretty cool. If you count my 20 gallon frag tank which runs off the same fuge as my 55 gallon I actually have 3- 250w MH (2 standard MH & 1 - HQI MH) I also run 220w of VHO actenics. Usually the only time heat has been an issue is when my wife's parents watch the kids and they turn off the AC in the summer and my tank gets up to 85 degrees! (ugh - in-laws!!!)
Mark

nas19320

What would be the diadvantages of running dual 175's instead of the 250's? Would it make that much more of a difference in what I could keep or would it just limit my placement?

nas19320

Thanks Kip. I would like to run 250's but not having a sump or refuge makes me worry about the heat. What kind of MH setup are you running?

attml

I agree with Kip. For the slight difference in cost go with the 250s. They are definitley not too much for a 55 especially if you plan to keep acros or clams. There are times when I question if the 250s are strong enough!

nas19320

What kind of setup would you suggest I look at? I'm just beginning researching this so any suggestions are welcome.

attml

That all depends on how much $ you would like to spend. You can piece together a system and build your own canopy cheaper than buying a system. Pendands are also a little cheaper. Then there custom hoods which can get pretty expensive. I went with a pendant over my frag tank and a custom hood (MH/VHO combo) over my main tank not because I have a lot of money to throw around but because I am not very handy when it comes to that kind of stuff so I just saved a little longer to get them!

nas19320

Well I have a canopy currently being built so I'm looking at a retrofit kit. What about something like the PFO Dual ballast, any opinions?

attml

I love both of my PFO ballasts!!! I have the dual 250w standard ballast over my main tank and the single 250w HQI ballast over my frag tank.

nas19320

Also what K bulbs do you guys like, I have the option of running T5 actinic supplementation if necessary. I was thinking maybe the CoralVue 10 K's or 10 K XM's.

attml

My HQI bulb is brighter and runs hotter than my standard MH bulbs. I am a big fan of the 10K Ushio MH bulbs (mogel & double ended). I really like the growth and color they give and they only have to be changed every 10-12 months. IMO, the 65K Iwasakis make every thing too brown and yellow looking. I like the Radiums but they have to be changed out every 6-8 months and although they produce superior colored corals they grow them too slowly. As far as actenic support I really like the way my URI VHO Super Actenics make my colors look.