Australian Scrub Python

aw2x3

Picked this guy up a few weeks ago...but just received him in the mail, today.
I'm almost positive he's an Aru Scrub...but not sure. He's about 5' long and he's one mean SOB. Completely arboreal and will max out around 14' - 15'.
I've wanted one forever and am super excited to finally have one.
At only 5', he still has a strike range of about 3.5'.
Not the best pics, as the glass was dirty. He's in a 60gal aquarium, in quarentine. After quarentine, he'll go into a large arboreal enclosure I'm building.
He has a slight nose rub, but it should shed out nicely. We had him for no more than an hour and he already ate.

I'll get more pics, in a few days, once he's calmed down and settled in.

ruaround

didnt you go to or shouldnt you be in jail or some $#!% for having these animals???
some never learn...
now let the ripping begin...

aw2x3

And Beth,
Yeah, he's a little on the thin side. He didn't come from a breeder or well known establishment...he's from some kid in NC, that wasn't quite sure what he was doing. Not even an hour after delievery, he was already eating.
Not too long and he'll be growing like a weed. My number one priority is getting him calmed down. I'd really prefer not to have him still being a chainsaw, at 14'. lol

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by ruaround
http:///forum/post/3246951
didnt you go to or shouldnt you be in jail or some $#!% for having these animals???
some never learn...
now let the ripping begin...

Your ignorance on the issue has made you to look like a fool. How about you just shut your mouth? This is the type of responses that Beth preached against people posting then what do you do? I barely post here anymore so if I get a two week ban so be it. I personally think rude idiots such as yourself should get one too.
Now here is a lesson on reptiles since your third grade teacher did such a horrible job.
Now lets say it together okay moron,
This is a COBRA. What Andy got in trouble for.

This is a python not what he got in trouble for and just bought.

Now that that education session is over do you feel just as retarded still or do you know need me to make a few more examples.
Okay you need some more examples. I knew you would little buddy. We will get over this hump together. Are ya still with me. Is this retard proof enough for you?
COBRA

PYTHON.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure he will settle down once he gets enough food and care. He's really got some striking coloration.

crypt keeper

they are thin snaks by nature though. Yes they get very long but think of a amazon tree boa. They stay slender and love to climb. These guys cant afford big thick bodies. They love tree tops. They are awesome snakes with some of the most amazing eyes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is a duffus question I'm sure, but are snakes of similiar species and mating habbits able to cross bred?

aw2x3

Not a duffus question at all, because I haven't the slightest idea.
As much as I've wanted a Scrub, there aren't too many people out there, that breed them or have a huge deal of info about them.
I'll check into this for you, Beth and let you know...I'm interested in the answer as well.
Other than Scrubs, there have been a few other species that have cross bred, making hybrids. Retics and Burms, making "Bateaters"...Burms and Balls, making "Burmballs"...Womas and Balls, making "Womaballs". It's very rare that this does happen. For Bateaters, there are a handful in the world. Burmballs and Womaballs, as far as I know, have only been made one time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
After posting, and your comments about cross breeding, I checked out and found some interesting pics, and even a vid of a burmball. That was a nice looking snake with qualities of both species. Learn something new everyday.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
http:///forum/post/3248328
What happened with your court case any updates there.
I had court this past Wednesday. In a way, I got hosed. In another way, the state looked like a bunch of dbags, who ended up being scolded by the judge for, in his words, "screwing me".
I received $800 in fines, $800 in court costs and 2 years court supervision. The states premise was that I did not have proper permits, even though I did. They went back and back dated records, to say that my permits had mysteriously been revoked two weeks before the whole incident. Coincidentally, two weeks prior was roughly the time I started talking to the guy who set me up. When asked why they were revoked, the state said they didn't know.
I was told, by the state, that if I didn't take that deal, they'd hammer me with 7 different charges, I'd be facing $5,000+ in fines and up to a year in jail. They also said they'd confiscate all of my other 16 snakes.
When told, by my lawyer, that my other snakes were pythons and by state law, were not illegal and couldn't be confiscated, the States Attorney replied with "We're the state. We'll find some way to get what we want".
So, I took the plea deal, to keep my other animals. After pleading guilty to two charges, the judge was making his ruling, when the States Attorney jumped in and tried to screw me more, by saying they'd changed their mind and were going to seek 4 counts. The judge, shockingly, came back with "Shut up. I'm tired of this bull***t case, tired of hearing about this bull***t case and tired of listening to your bull**t...you're not going to screw this guy any more than you already have...ruling stands"
Originally Posted by Beth

http:///forum/post/3248344
After posting, and your comments about cross breeding, I checked out and found some interesting pics, and even a vid of a burmball. That was a nice looking snake with qualities of both species. Learn something new everyday.
I just talked to a guy I know...one of the best breeders in the states...about what you'd asked. He said that Scrubs will breed, no matter the locality. Aru's will breed with Barnecks will breed with Biaks, etc. From a sellers point of view, you'd have to sell the offspring as a "non-locality" Scrub, as most serious collectors (and those of us crazy enough to keep Scrubs) want a specific locality.
I know, a few years ago, there was a guy trying to cross breed Scrubs with Retics. I haven't heard any updates and can't even remember the guys name. If he would've succeeded, there would've been big news about it and I've heard none. It'd definately be an amazing snake, though...however, Scrubs are already nasty tempered enough and there are some Retics that are just as bad. I'd hate to see a Retic/Scrub hybrid, with a bad attitude. I'd make a rabid hyena look tame. lol

crypt keeper

Its where the snake is from originally. They have different retics from different parts of the world that have different patterns.
Like a Retic is not a retic. They have natural retics from everywhere like Jampeas, Sulawesi, Selayers, etc, etc. These snakes each have a different genetic make up with different patterns. I just found out the other day from Andy actually that majority of Morphs out can naturally exist and do. Like Golden Childs. Its a natural exsiting snake that is a defect of sorts. It happens every 1 out 1000. The Tiger retic is a naturally existing snake in the wild that has been caught. The gene is dominant. You should see some of the snakes these guys overseas find. They are most gorgeous snakes in the world. Not matter the cross breeding people try and do they cant touch some of these natural animals IMO. This guy from Indonesia just found a Tigerish looking retic. It blows any tiger suntiger platinum I have ever seen away.
Here is a picture

So an Aru is from a diffrenet region than the Barneck.

crypt keeper

the guy thinks its a dwarf. The back story is somebody found them as hatchlings. A brother or sister had the same markings and color. It is gorgeous. The brillance in color is something I have never seen.

ironeagle2006

Reminds me of the case I had in 1996 involving the City of Berwin IL. I hit a Tree on Private Property and was charged wth Damage to City Porperty. Case took 6 months to clear up. Well I did everything for the city including billing my insurance company because their secratarys had better things to do than send an insurance claim to an insurance company. I guess the boss needed help. I finally get everything done and have the same Judge 2 months in a row. He goes Mr Prosacuter I am going to Dismiss the case HE DID EVERYTHING FOR THE CASE YOU WANTED AND STARTSTO HAND ME MY DL BACK. City Atty rips it out of the Judges hand and goes he will get this SOB back WHEN I AM GOOD AND READY TO GIVE IT BACK. Judge goes CONTEMPT BALLIAF TAKE THE CITY ATTY TO CENTRAL BOOKING. Then goes to the Police call Berwin and tell them they have 10 mins to get a new atty here or all CASES ON THE DOCKET TODAY ARE DISSMISSED. 10 mins later Caseses Dissmissed court Adjourned.
He also wrote out a bunch of orders that one in all city prop cases Berwin must final an insurance claim in 2 weeks or case is dismissed and outher crap like that.