jared

It doesn't matter what image editor you use, it simply must be saved as a jpeg or gif. Anything else will give you problems, especially bmp's. I've seen .png used before, but rarely. I'm not sure what stipulations they have.
That's the easy part. The hard part and most difficult to explain is hosting your pictures. Last I checked, this forum doens't do that for you. You'll have to sign up sompelace that will lend you server space. Freeservers.com is a good start and even tell you how to use FTP. (Don't let the terms intimidate you, it's not as hard as it sounds!) When you get there, you'll understand what FTP will do for you. Basically, it takes your file and copies it onto a server so that it can be accessed on the internet. I might also recommend using filezilla's FTP client. Free, easy to use, no BS. I do plan to write a web page specifically for forums because I found this to be one of the most asked questions.
A few other tips:
Stay away from Geocities! Not enought traffic to support pictures worth a crap.
There are some servers that are built specifically for this purpose! I can't give you any names right off, but if you went to a search engine and typed in "free picture hosting"
If you need more help, drop me an email.

jared

Really? That's kind of cool. Good stuff to learn though if you can. It will come in handy someday.

jared

Yeah, when you save the picture, just save it as whatever you want then tack on the .jpg or .gif at the end.
A little tip to keep file sizes under control:
.gif's are low quality in color, but take up less space. I you're using something really basic with colors, save it as a gif. I believe they are only like 16 bit color or something like that.
.jpeg's or .jpg's are 256 color, and take up more space. It's a good idea to save it with this extension when you have a more intricate picture. If you're hosting a picture that was taken from real life (like off of a digital camera or something), it is a good idea to use a .jpg. Otherwise it will come out really crappy.