AW2X3 final eel list

ryanhayes9

i think i have the final list for my 55 gallon eel tank. i want
1 barred moray eel
1 snowflake eel( is that possible with the barred? are there n e that can go with the barred?)
4 green chromis
1 cuban hogfish
will this list work? also is it possible to add more fish?
THANK YOU!

aw2x3

A Snowflake might be ok with the Barred Moray...I see no problems with that.
The problem I do see is that a 55gal. is not big enough for a Snowflake. If you're planning on upgrading, that's fine, but dont plan on keeping one in that size tank indefinately.

unleashed

i have read that the sfe requires at lease a 55 gal at adulthood due to its being the type of eel that is not active in the open..but i would have to agree with aw on the needing the upgrading later if you realy insist on these species together a 55 just wont be enough space for all of these fish together at adulthood

unleashed

well i know the barred moray does get some girth to it(i have a yellow barred , just one of my 4 eels)..the question is how large are the eels your planning on keeping or already keep.some eels depending on each indevidual species are solitary animals and do not share accomidations..i keep 3 eels together in my 125(6ft) but all 3 tend to sleep in the same rocks with one another and are not very active..until feeding time of course..its going to depend greatly on the eel itself on what it will or will not tolerate living with.. oh yeh do the the chromis but id skip the hogfish if the eel gets ahold of the chromis you wont mind as much as you will a more costly fish..

unleashed

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
k thankjs
so ur saying i need to see how the eels temper is?
yep pretty much as my jeweled eel is acually the most empermental in my tank hes not to good with other fish during feeding time only(very aggressive) the only saving grace for my other eels is that he is the smallest of the eels in this tank..my barred and my black moray dont seam to care whos around them as long as they get some food..my barred is now about 22 in my black is 26 in jeweled 20 inches..once i move they will all 3 be housed in a 90 ..which at this time is home for a 3 1/2 ft tess(hes going into the 125)your best bet is not to add eels that are extremely smaller than the next(this is to prevent canibalizm)some eels will eat other eels

shaunda

I have a snowflake eel and was curious how other people feed their eels. I have been putting krill in the tank but not sure if he is actually eating it. I think the lunare wrasse and foxface are eating it. I have not seen him eat it. He basically stays under a rock. Should I feed something else. Do I stick it on a skewer or something?

ryanhayes9

1 banded moray eel
4 green chromis
1 columbian shark ( already have about 6 inches)
another eel is he allows it (reccomendations aw2x3? thanks)

fish-man-t

sf ellsare 99% blind
you have to put food right at there nose(at least i have to feed mine this way) so they smell/feel it, not sure what 1 but it does work

unleashed

Originally Posted by Shaunda
I have a snowflake eel and was curious how other people feed their eels. I have been putting krill in the tank but not sure if he is actually eating it. I think the lunare wrasse and foxface are eating it. I have not seen him eat it. He basically stays under a rock. Should I feed something else. Do I stick it on a skewer or something?
i reccomend a clear acrylic feeding stick (you can get these at most LFS)
as fro feeding krill yes its good for them but also be sure to add more than just that to his diet as no one food type will contain all the nutrients any agressive species needs..use a combination of krill mysis(if hes smaller) shrimp.scallops.silverslides,any raw meaty sw variety foods..never feed cooked foods or fw species

blizz75

I would just walk up to the tank and when he saw me he would come to the top of the tank OUT of the water! He was pretty easy to feed,..
If he wont come out of the tank then i agree with unleashed, get some feeding sticks and feed a SW only varied diet.

blizz75

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
1 banded moray eel
4 green chromis
1 columbian shark ( already have about 6 inches)
another eel is he allows it (reccomendations aw2x3? thanks)

In a 55g i would stick to JUST the Banded Eel
The tank is not very big and 5 more fish , one that grows quite large will not work.