Awesome bristle worm hunter

chipmaker

We bought a Springeri Dottyback today at *****. It was stated that it was reef safe and got to about 3" oal in size. Well brought it home and placed it in the one tank without any other fish in it for now to keep an eye on it. This tank has lr and ls lots of aipstasia etc but I use it for a QT tank if need be. Well I decided to throw in some food for it and see if it was gonna be a shy fish or hopefully eat some frozen foods...... It started on the frozen foods, but then a few bristle worms made an appearance and justb like that that little fish was attacking those bristle worms. It did get one that it managed to swim off with like a game fish with a worm in its mouth, and all you cold see was bits and pieces of that bristle worm. I never did pay any attention to the frozen foods once it spotted that worm.
I usually do look up fish before I buy em if I am not familiar with them or if I buy at a place I trust I take their word. ***** tag said reef safe and about 3" and suitable for a community type setup so I took a chance on it. My chance paid off, and tomorrow I intend to go back and buy the other 3 they had left. I called up ***** and had them hold the other three for me. I'll probably out another single in the one tank and then two of them in another larger setup. I never really worried about bristle worms but some of my tanks have a lot of them so these fish should be pretty good for thinning them out.

blessedyo

Have you purchased additional dotty backs yet? If so, how are they doing? I have been told that unless you simultaneously add them together, then they will not work...and this is only a 50/50 chance.

anonome

Be careful adding any dottyback/pseudochromis (same family) to a reef with ornamental shrimp. I had a yellow pseudochromis that was an awesome bristleworm killer, but when the worms were no where to be found he took a liking to my shrimp. Just FYI.