AWI Dual Home Reef RO/DI

T

tmy880

I just forked over $240 bucks shipped to my door for this system from AWI.
Anyone have any good things to say about it. I thought about the dual home unit from the "filter guys" same system but they wanted around $330 dollars shipped, practically the same setup.
How hard was it to hook up, are you happy with it and so on.....
Thanks hope I made the right decision.
TMY880

nietzsche

the filter guys has excellent service, thats why i chose them.. they know what theyre talking about and always helped me out when i had questions even before buying the unit, during setting up the unit, and after. the filter guys have the test results for that unit posted up, so its not like they have anything to hide.
are you talking about the air water ice unit?

saltymac

I got a 6 stage ro/di shipped for $105. It works great, but my bank notified me that my credit card was available on the internet, and they cancled my account and sent me new cards. I guess my point is, you can find good deals out there, but be careful. BTW I found it on e-bay. (new)

dstoneburg

I ordered the same one from AWI. Let me be the first to tell you their instructions are HORRIBLE. A local reefer named chewie gave me much better instructions on how to hook it up. This worked out perfect!
Go To Home Depot and get a garden hose Y adapter($5), a 1/2" MPT x 1/4" John Guest fitting ($5)and a 3/4"FPT x 1/2" FPT brass Reducer($2).
Unhook the cold feed line to your washing machine.
Connect Y adapter to the hose bib. Attach washing machine hose to 1 end of the Y.
To the other end of the the Y, attach the 3/4"FPT x 1/2" brass reducer.

[hr]
in the 1/2" x 1/4" JG fitting to the previous fitting.
Now you plug in the feed line from the RODI to the 1/4" JG.
For the drain line, run about 2-3 feet down the washing machine line.
The pressure from that faucet should be in the 40-60 range which is better than under the sink usually. Just don't use the washing machine while making water.

wyvern

Love mine! It's been hooked up for just over a year and still works great. We hooked it up under the kitchen sink. I use 5 gallon jugs to collect the water. I got the kitchen wet once and then had the idea to put the jug in the sink while filling. That way, if i forget about it, it won't flood the kitchen ( just wastes water). The customer service is great. They have answered my questions in a timley manner.

T

tmy880

Originally Posted by nietzsche
the filter guys has excellent service, thats why i chose them.. they know what theyre talking about and always helped me out when i had questions even before buying the unit, during setting up the unit, and after. the filter guys have the test results for that unit posted up, so its not like they have anything to hide.
are you talking about the air water ice unit?
Ya I got the air water ice unit.
Should be here on 11/5.
I plan on using it under my sink. Hope theres enough pressure.
I will let you all know how it went after hook up.

mister entropy

I bought the Dual Home Reef New Style and installed it this weekend, along with a new sink, faucet, and disposal. As stated above, the directions are horrible. I have leftover parts, and three hours after turning things on, I still have no water. I really wish I'd checked here first; I could have really used dstoneburg's suggestions. In fact, I'll probably still use that information and switch things up next weekend.
One of the parts I have left over is a membrane. It's sealed in a plastic bag. Any chance this is a replacement part, or should it have been installed? None of the instructions mentioned installing it at any point. There are instructions about how to replace a used membrane in the FAQ, but nothing about installing a brand new one.
I'm sure it's not an issue, but just for peace of mind, how does the pressure tank work? The part I can't wrap my head around is that the in/out tube is at the very top of the tank. How does water get out of the tank if the outlet is at the top?

mister entropy

Another dilemma is that water does not seem to be flowing into the RO/DI for very long. When I loosen the supply valve, I can hear water dribbling into the RO/DI, but seconds later I hear nothing. It's like I completely lose pressure for some reason. It's connected to the kitchen sink's cold water, and that still works, so I know there is water pressure. What could be causing this?

C

cmaxwell39

You need to put the membrane in the housing. This is probably why you are not getting any water out of it. The automatic shutoff needs to sense the pressure drop through the membrane in order to work correctly.
As far as the pressure tank, there is a bladder that is filled with air inside of it so that it will push the water out the top when there is water in it. Works exactly the same as a bladder tank on a well.

mister entropy

Thank you. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out so I made the brilliant decision to look for installation instructions for a different RO filter. What do you know, figured it out. Got the membrane installed, hopefully I'll have some results in the next few hours.

mister entropy

It worked! Yay! Now I just need to wait for it to fill, empty, and refill before I have a taste and get to work on a water change. Thanks again.

mister entropy

Well, scratch the whole "it worked" thing. After getting maybe 1/4 cup to come out last night, I figured everything was good. I let it run overnight and this morning I got the same piddly amount. Suggestions?