B-ionic

jlm

Can someone tell me on the big jugs of b-ionic are you supposed to dilute both alk and cal or just the cal? Mine came in with a tag on the cal saying to add water but when I did that now the alk is only half full. shouldn't they both have the same amount in them? Thanks.

disgusted

I have a 75 gallon reef and I use 1/4 cup of each once a week. I don't dilute at all, but I make sure to pour it right into the flow.

yes you are supposed to dilute both, there is a little mark on the side of the jug that indicates where to add water.
Also, the above method can be VERY risky method of dosing depending on your levels. If they are right on the border of being too high, doing so will crash your tank and fast.
If I were to just dump them in my tank like that, my system would crash.

zanemoseley

Yeah definately don't do just one large does once a week, hell if you could do that than why not just dump in a gallon, that should last a good couple months. I wouldn't dose much more than one ml per 2 gallons of tank water per dose.

disgusted

I wouldn't say 1/4 cup is a large dose. I've been doing it this way for quite some time and I have never had a problem. My calcium is at about 450 ppm.

euphoria

Is it ok to just use the ALK solution and not the Calcium? My calcium level is good, but I want to bump my Alk to around 10 dkH. Can I just pour in the Alk solution until it hits 10?

benj2112

Are these the gallon jugs?
I must be blind...I can't find it saying to dilute it anywhere. I have been dosing for months now with it being undiluted and everything seems fine, though.
It is fine to add just one if you want. That is what I originally did to get my Ca/Alk balanced. Watch the other one, though, as one goes up the other goes down when you do that. Remeber...it is all about balancing (and using Kip/Bang Guy's Alk/Ca balancing table).

euphoria

The bottle doesn't say which version it is, but the contents say that it contains carbonate and bicarbonate, so I"m assuming mine is that version. Plus my pH is usually barely hitting 8.4 and is more often 8.2 after lights have been on for a while, so that's another indication that it's the diluted bicarbonate version.
I keep dosing my water w/ the ALK part and I can never pass the 8 dkH barrier. No matter what I do, its always at 8. Is there some sort of a saturation point in water that won't let the dkH pass a certain point (based on the water chemistry and all that)? If so, should I just stop dosing w/ ALK component and only add it when it drops below 8?