b/w and true?

brewski4u1

i have one true perc thats about 1 1/2 inch in my 30gal right now and have had him for close to a year! and i was at the lfs and the actually had b/w i put one on hold till i did some research and i'm gettin mixed reviews!
so basicly my question is can they be mixed they are both percs but one is b/w and the other is true! so can it be done?

perfectdark

It depends on what it looks like. A lot of places will label a B&W clown as a B&W Fasle Perc it is a Amphiprion ocellaris. And typically not compatable with a true perc or Amphiprion percula. In other cases I have seen black and white saddle back clowns get mis labeled as B&W Perc's when in fact they are Amphiprion polymnus, also not compatable with the other 2. Look on this site and see which one best looks like the one you are questioning. If I was to guess my answer is no they are not compatable.

brewski4u1

i check this site and this is pretty darn close Black & White False Percula - Aquacultured
i have a pic at home i'll try and post it up in the next hour!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
i check this site and this is pretty darn close Black & White False Percula - Aquacultured
i have a pic at home i'll try and post it up in the next hour!

OK well if it is then it is an ocellairs by scientific names and should not be placed in the same space as a Percula. The one you are looking at if I am to guess is probably a younger fish and has a notable orange face. The one on this site is more mature and its orange has been filled in with black. Is there any white on the tail fin?

aquaknight

Even if he is a B&W ocel. they still should pair up. I have a true perc., regular ocel. pair. They haven't spawned yet but definitely are a pair. Just make sure you know your's is definitely a female and you get a more submissive B&W.

brewski4u1

on the question is there any white on the fin? i cant really remember sorry what if there is?
well i couldnt find the pic and it was bothering me so i called the owner who i'm friends w/ you spend enough time at the lfs and you start to get to know everyone lol kinda sad! but he sore up and down they are wild caught from australia.... so i guess that would make them b/w true percs right ? i think i'm right! but the ones in the store are quite a bit smaller then the one i have now so i dont think it should be a problem ! not to mention theres about 15 in the same tank! so i'm thinkin i'll go and get him tonight! unless we can come up w/ a reason not to

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Brewski4u1
on the question is there any white on the fin? i cant really remember sorry what if there is?
well i couldnt find the pic and it was bothering me so i called the owner who i'm friends w/ you spend enough time at the lfs and you start to get to know everyone lol kinda sad! but he sore up and down they are wild caught from australia.... so i guess that would make them b/w true percs right ? i think i'm right! but the ones in the store are quite a bit smaller then the one i have now so i dont think it should be a problem ! not to mention theres about 15 in the same tank! so i'm thinkin i'll go and get him tonight! unless we can come up w/ a reason not to

Theres no such thing as a black and white true perc, so they are mislabled. Also there is a chance that different species can co-exist, its a general rule to say that mixing is not recomended and more times than not as they mature the 2 species end up fighting. If these fish were in a 200 gal tank then things might be different. But as a rule of thumb mixing species is not recomended.

perfectdark

IMO unless you have seen multiple scenarios such as the above and 100% of them have had success pairing and mating you dont have enough evidence to support that statment. As stated above it can happen but it generally doesnt work out.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
IMO unless you have seen multiple scenarios such as the above and 100% of them have had success pairing and mating you dont have enough evidence to support that statment. As stated above it can happen but it generally doesnt work out.
I agree 100% here

debbie

Yes make sure you know what you are getting. I special ordered in a black and white perc, when my fish came I was so excited and went right down to get it. At the time it was a baby which is what I wanted and because I was sure that I was getting (black and white Nemo) I wanted the other one to be the orange and white Nemo. So home I came with my fish in hand.
Well shortly after getting my 'Nemo's and posting some pictures I do not have what I wanted. My black and white is a saddleback and my orange and white is a perc and yes a Nemo. So they are not the same kind and many say they will not get along.
So far so good, they are truly buddies and I hope they stay that way. At times I find them together in the BTA or in the Toadstool or lying in the mushrooms. I have had no fighting thank god and hope it stays that way.
I have had them now since summer and all is well. So make sure you know what you are getting and how to tell the difference.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Debbie
Yes make sure you know what you are getting. I special ordered in a black and white perc, when my fish came I was so excited and went right down to get it. At the time it was a baby which is what I wanted and because I was sure that I was getting (black and white Nemo) I wanted the other one to be the orange and white Nemo. So home I came with my fish in hand.
Well shortly after getting my 'Nemo's and posting some pictures I do not have what I wanted. My black and white is a saddleback and my orange and white is a perc and yes a Nemo. So they are not the same kind and many say they will not get along.
So far so good, they are truly buddies and I hope they stay that way. At times I find them together in the BTA or in the Toadstool or lying in the mushrooms. I have had no fighting thank god and hope it stays that way.
I have had them now since summer and all is well. So make sure you know what you are getting and how to tell the difference.

A lot of times a B&W F. Perc is confused with a Black Saddle Back especially the saddle backs that lack the notable yellow fins and face. My LFS said they could order me a saddle back so I said yea. Then the got the invoice for the order and it said B&W F Perc's. It was only until we looked at them that we saw they were indeed saddle backs. Even the distributers get confused too. The tell tale indicator is the white stripes on the top and bottom of their tail.

aquaknight

I am strictly talking about mixing Ocellaris and Perculas. The only aggression you'd see IMO is getting two females, or juvi's turning female. I have serious doubts this two would fight simply because they're a different speicies. (retarded, imbred 'mis-bars' not included)...
I as well obviously wouldn't endorse mixing other speicies (i.e. a maroone with a perc. or a tomato and ocel.).

debbie

A lot of times a B&W F. Perc is confused with a Black Saddle Back especially the saddle backs that lack the notable yellow fins and face. My LFS said they could order me a saddle back so I said yea. Then the got the invoice for the order and it said B&W F Perc's. It was only until we looked at them that we saw they were indeed saddle backs. Even the distributers get confused too. The tell tale indicator is the white stripes on the top and bottom of their tail.
What do you mean by the white stripes on the top and bottom of their tail??
Mine does have the yellow on the fins and on the face plus the white bar in the middle of the body runs up the top fin too. But the white on the tail only goes from the last white bar and runs up just the top of the tail.
I have a picture of my fish in her anemone. Take a look at my postings and you will see her.

debbie

Go to the posting. Black Saddleback Clownfish and my fish is there. Should be the last one.
Tell me if I am right and it is a saddleback

perfectdark

yep yours is indeed a saddle back. What I meant by white stripes on the tail is. Look at yours, the last white band at the back of the fish, it continues onto the tail of the fish top and bottom. Black and white saddle backs also are seen with no yellow face or fins. In comparson they look identicle to B&W ocellaris except for those markings on the tail.

debbie

yep yours is indeed a saddle back. What I meant by white stripes on the tail is. Look at yours, the last white band at the back of the fish, it continues onto the tail of the fish top and bottom. Black and white saddle backs also are seen with no yellow face or fins. In comparson they look identicle to B&W ocellaris except for those markings on the tail.

You say mine is a saddle back and in your words above "Black and white saddle backs also are seen with no yellow face or fins"......
Mine has the yellow on the fins and face. Now I am confused.
Also the white on the tail does not go all the way around the tip of the tail it is only on the top rim.
I am not saying it is not a saddle back but your wording has me confused.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Debbie
You say mine is a saddle back and in your words above "Black and white saddle backs also are seen with no yellow face or fins"......
Mine has the yellow on the fins and face. Now I am confused.
Also the white on the tail does not go all the way around the tip of the tail it is only on the top rim.
I am not saying it is not a saddle back but your wording has me confused.

LOL ok lets try this again... yes yours is a saddle back. And yes there are saddle back clowns that do not have the yellow face and fins as yours do the only thing that distinguishes them from B&W ocellaris is the white strips on their tail indicating they are saddle backs and not ocellaris. Im sure there are other differences but at first glance this is what you notice. Its just different color morphs in the species. But LFS Get them confused with B&W ocellaris, and often mislabel saddle back clowns as B&W perculas or B%W clowns. I hope this clears things up. But you have a saddle back 100% positive.