Baby Feather Dusters

I have baby feather dusters growing on my live rock. How fast do they grow? Are they considered a plant of an animal. Any information you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. :)

carrie1429

I have tons of little feather dusters growing on my LR. It seems they grow very slow and they don't need any special care such as lighting or anything. You can buy some plankton stuff for them but I don't think its nesseccary since they just eat particles out of the water.

L

lexatomic

who do i know if they are baby feather dusters??? please...post some pics.

carrie1429

Well the babies look just like the large ones only a lot smaller, in case you haven't seen a feather duster by any chance look on this website and there is a pic. Usually they don't have a tube yet and are kinda hard to see. Just look closely on your LR, all the ones I have seen are brown.

I know what you are talking about as I am sure many here do. These are very common on live rock and although they do not get very big, they add to the diversity of the tank. Pretty cool, aren't they. I have notice at least 6 different spieces in my own tank. Some are translucent while others are white, pink, red, and blue.
I love them. They need no special care and take nutrients that they need directly from the water.

susiepan

I agree, and steamboat, mine are all different too..I have several different colors, my favorite being the red..
~Susie :D

new

i have a small peice of rock that looks like it needs to shave it has so many on it :) all the colors listed by others plus a couple soft orange colors.