Baby Shark Help

crofty

About 5 weeks ago I wanted a Banded shark in my tank, I did not have the $110 the store was selling them for, So I opted for a Shark Egg Embryo for $20... well Saturday I woke up and the egg hatched...I now have a 6 inch brown and white banded shark...he is very timid now, I have him separated from my other fish and I have seen him eating when I feed him...he is not swimming around too much yet. Any of you experts out there have any advice for me with this fish...I have a 55 gallon tank with a Tang, Trigger, Clown and Wrasse, no live coral, just fish. Any thing special I should feed him, I feed the others Formula One, he seems to be eating the Formula One with no problems...Any advise is appreciated..
Thanks
Bryan

nmoran

I'm no expert but heres my opinion. But I do know your going to want to get a bigger tank. He'll be okay in a 55 for a very short time, but a 55 gallon tank is way too small for that shark. I have a banded cat shark and I just feed him salmon, trout and other fish I buy at the store. And then just put vita-chem over it. I feed it every 3 days and it does very well. I think formula one is algea. Isn't it? I know they sell shark formula but my shark wouldn't touch the stuff.

jim27

$110 for a banded shark!!!! I got mine for $13 at the lfs. They eat shrimp, silversides, krill, squid, and other fish type things. Your going to need a bigger tank for it also, a 55 is way to small to keep it its entire life. I have mine in a 180 gallon and I upgrading to a 240 later this year. Also, NO TRIGGERS WITH SHARKS! The trigger will bite(and kill) the shark.

risc

Crofty:
You really should have done more research on your baby shark before you bought it. They don't swim for the most part unless they are scared. They walk about on their fins for locomotion and only swim when they need to move quickly from one place to another. You chances of seeing him swim aren't very likely unless you watch him when the tank is pitch black. A 55 gallon will only last you about 6 months with that shark. He will quickly outgrow it unless he is in there by himself. You also have about the 3 worst fish you can have with a shark... Tangs, Triggers, and Clowns. Tangs could give your shark diseases, triggers will peck at it's eyes, and clowns will almost certainly die from related stress of the shark once it gets larger. The wrasse is an excellent tankmate for sharks, but only as long as they are large enough to not fit in their mouths.
Sharks should never be fed fresh water fish like trout and salmon... even crappies or northern or anything. Their nutrients and body oil bases are different and can damage your sharks digestive system or cause physical problems later in life. It is best to feed them a varying diet of seafood. Bamboo sharks especially love squid pieces. You should be able to buy squid rings from your local supermarket for very cheap and they should last near a month. Shark formula is a waste of money. It costs too much and doesn't last long enough. It also doesn't provide the natural nutriets that frozen food has locked in after it was caught fresh. Never thaw your food first either, just place it directly into the tank in front of your sharks face. Never touch him with the food just wiggle it around to simulate movement and they will snap it right up.
Once your shark is readily eating there is also no reason to add vitamin chemicals to their diet as long as you are feeding them a variety of foods. If you just feed them squid and nothing else it is essential that you give them a vitamin supplement.
Jim

nmoran

Thank you risc, I had no idea it was bad to give them freshwater fish. But I have a couple questions. Though I've never tried it, I've heard that people feed them goldfish and ghost shrimp sometimes. Is this bad as well? And why wouldn't you put vitamins on the food? Thanks for the help.

risc

anthem is correct.... feeder goldfish can also carry diseases that your sharks can contract.
If you are a rich man it's not a bad idea to feed your sharks damsels, saltwater crabs, cleaner shrimp, coral shrimp, snails, lobsters... really anything. Of course this costs a ton of money but it simulates the actual feeding aspects of them they use in real life.
All the necessary vitamins are packed within a varying diet of seafoods. You don't need to add vitamins to your sharks food if you already have the necessary vitamins within their food. Think about it like this. If you as a human eat a completely balanced diet of foods daily to meet your daily requirements of vitamins do you need to take a Centrum or drink a can of Red Bull or something. Of course not... packing your body with vitamins can acutally cause more harm then good. Fish don't have the luxury of vitamin supplements in the wild so leave well enough alone.
Jim