Back after a long hiatus.

After 10yrs I am getting back into the saltwater game, and now that I am no longer on a high school/minimum wage budget I am expecting things to go much better this time around. So: after getting caught up on all the changes to the hobby, scouting the lfs scene, and figuring what my budget will be after holiday OT, I am ready to start getting things together. I already have my tank, a 25g cube (a marineland setup that came with the tank, stand, lid, and an LED for freshwater plants)...so a few questions and concerns (mostly because I am indecisive and want this tank to do well).
1.) I am looking at the aquaclear 70 for filtration but would the 110 be a better option for the tank size and depth?
2.) I am trying to decide whether to get the vortech mp10 or the Hydor Koralia reef kit. I like that the mp10 is adjustable as far as flow and that it is programmable with different wave functions and the slim profile; however, the reef kit is cheaper and with two power heads I feel I could get better overall flow (high and low, or each side). So, my question is, how do these two options weigh against one another?
3.) The lighting is where I just can't decide on what would be best for the tank and possibly a mix of hardy corals down the road. I am going to go LED, I have looked at the reefbreeder value, the PAR38 14K bulbs, and the build my led fixtures, but I think I am leaning towards the AJM reef bridgelux 120W dimmable. They all have pros and cons, but is one far better than the others? And would I need to get optics for whatever light I go with because of the 18" depth?

SO my tentative initial plan is:
25g cube
ac 70 filter
power head: probably the mp10
Bridgelux multicolor 120W LED fixture
20-25lbs LR/ 1-2" sand substrate
cuc of snails, crabs etc.
a pair of clowns, and maybe another small fish

The next issue I am struggling with is the fact that I am currently in an apartment (which is why I went with the 25 and not larger) and my lease will be up in May. I will be moving at that time, but not too far, up to a half hour away. With a tank that will only be 4-5 months old is a move worth the hassle and stress on the system or should I wait until after the move to set everything up. Waiting will test every ounce of patience I have but if it is worth it in the long run I am up for the challenge.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbananas87 http:///t/396791/back-after-a-long-hiatus#post_3535284
After 10yrs I am getting back into the saltwater game, and now that I am no longer on a high school/minimum wage budget I am expecting things to go much better this time around. So: after getting caught up on all the changes to the hobby, scouting the lfs scene, and figuring what my budget will be after holiday OT, I am ready to start getting things together. I already have my tank, a 25g cube (a marineland setup that came with the tank, stand, lid, and an LED for freshwater plants)...so a few questions and concerns (mostly because I am indecisive and want this tank to do well).
1.) I am looking at the aquaclear 70 for filtration but would the 110 be a better option for the tank size and depth?
2.) I am trying to decide whether to get the vortech mp10 or the Hydor Koralia reef kit. I like that the mp10 is adjustable as far as flow and that it is programmable with different wave functions and the slim profile; however, the reef kit is cheaper and with two power heads I feel I could get better overall flow (high and low, or each side). So, my question is, how do these two options weigh against one another?
3.) The lighting is where I just can't decide on what would be best for the tank and possibly a mix of hardy corals down the road. I am going to go LED, I have looked at the reefbreeder value, the PAR38 14K bulbs, and the build my led fixtures, but I think I am leaning towards the AJM reef bridgelux 120W dimmable. They all have pros and cons, but is one far better than the others? And would I need to get optics for whatever light I go with because of the 18" depth?

SO my tentative initial plan is:
25g cube
ac 70 filter
power head: probably the mp10
Bridgelux multicolor 120W LED fixture
20-25lbs LR/ 1-2" sand substrate
cuc of snails, crabs etc.
a pair of clowns, and maybe another small fish

The next issue I am struggling with is the fact that I am currently in an apartment (which is why I went with the 25 and not larger) and my lease will be up in May. I will be moving at that time, but not too far, up to a half hour away. With a tank that will only be 4-5 months old is a move worth the hassle and stress on the system or should I wait until after the move to set everything up. Waiting will test every ounce of patience I have but if it is worth it in the long run I am up for the challenge.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, 10 years gone...well even though you have over 200 posts...I'm going to say welcome to the forum, and welcome back, I haven't been around the site that long, so I don't remember you.

A 25g cube is a very tiny tank for SW...a MP10 would be way overkill. IMO Too much rock as well, it's already a tiny tank ... the poor fish won't have any room at all. A clown needs a 30g tank, you plan to add a pair, doable, but you want to add another small fish?

It's just my opinion.....I would wait until after the move, and start with a larger tank. It will cost the same amount of money to do a 40 breeder, as it will cost to set up a little 25g cube.

Thanks for the reply and the opinions Flower.
I had my first saltwater tank in high school, it was a 12g nanocube that I had nothing but problems with (I want to say 3 pumps and 2 heater malfunctions over a year), and I learned from my mistakes and decided my wallet and I weren't actually ready for SW like I thought.

So, when I got the itch to start a new tank I had a few ideas of what I wanted. I originally was going to go with a 20L, but after seeing the cubes in several stores and here on the forums, I really liked the look. I know 25g is smaller than ideal, but I felt it was the right size for me when looking at my options.
The mp10 was the power head that seemed to be in use in most of the nano tanks I was seeing, and with adjustable flow I could still use it in a larger tank down the road. I also like the battery backup option that this head offers.
I was planning on around 20lbs LR, not so much for aesthetics but for the filtration properties since I was not planning to do a sump; however, if I wait to setup until May then a sump may be added since I will have time to research and figure out how to do it.
And, as for fish, I really thought a pair of clowns would be my max, but added the other small fish to the list for purposes of gathering opinions on what a suitable bioload would be for this size tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbananas87 http:///t/396791/back-after-a-long-hiatus#post_3535299
Thanks for the reply and the opinions Flower.
I had my first saltwater tank in high school, it was a 12g nanocube that I had nothing but problems with (I want to say 3 pumps and 2 heater malfunctions over a year), and I learned from my mistakes and decided my wallet and I weren't actually ready for SW like I thought.

So, when I got the itch to start a new tank I had a few ideas of what I wanted. I originally was going to go with a 20L, but after seeing the cubes in several stores and here on the forums, I really liked the look. I know 25g is smaller than ideal, but I felt it was the right size for me when looking at my options.
The mp10 was the power head that seemed to be in use in most of the nano tanks I was seeing, and with adjustable flow I could still use it in a larger tank down the road. I also like the battery backup option that this head offers.
I was planning on around 20lbs LR, not so much for aesthetics but for the filtration properties since I was not planning to do a sump; however, if I wait to setup until May then a sump may be added since I will have time to research and figure out how to do it.
And, as for fish, I really thought a pair of clowns would be my max, but added the other small fish to the list for purposes of gathering opinions on what a suitable bioload would be for this size tank.

Hi,

Those MP10s are nice pumps...I can't afford them. Decorative macroalgae will do you much better then loading the tank up with live rock. You need some rock, but over loading it for filtration makes no sense. There are some beautiful macros, they add color, and keep PO4 and NO3 to 0 readings.

A sump is really easy to set up...of you plan that route, get your tank drilled and save yourself trouble down the road. I have the CPR overflow box, and it's a pain in the butt to keep the lifter pump from clogging, I don't trust the U-pipe overflows.

Ok, so how much rock would you suggest? Like 10-15lbs?
As for the sump, I didn't really plan on one mostly because I wouldn't know how to drill a tank. There is a whole set-up at a lfs, same tank (which I am really liking the size and shape) with the sump drilled and plumbed (so I wouldn't have to worry about it) that I may look into, given I can return the tank I already purchased.

Thank you again for the advice and opinions.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbananas87 http:///t/396791/back-after-a-long-hiatus#post_3535299
Ok, so how much rock would you suggest? Like 10-15lbs?
As for the sump, I didn't really plan on one mostly because I wouldn't know how to drill a tank. There is a whole set-up at a lfs, same tank (which I am really liking the size and shape) with the sump drilled and plumbed (so I wouldn't have to worry about it) that I may look into, given I can return the tank I already purchased.

Thank you again for the advice and opinions.

Just build the rock about 1/2 way up the tank., yes it will be around 15 pounds. getting the tank pre-drilled is a plus. Setting up a little sump will be pretty easy...go to the DIY section, I'm sure you will get lots of help on pump size and everything you need to set it up.