Back at it- 72 gallon bowfront

mlogan1

Hi!

First time posting here and after a 5 year hiatus I'm back in the hobby. I was just given a tank by a friend who upgraded. Heres a Pic of what I've got so far:

Just the Tank and CPR dual Bak Pak

What do you guys think? Id like to turn this one into a reef tank.

Im thinking Ill build my own stand. I liked this design:

http://mrsaltolo.blogspot.com/2014/01/building-72g-bowfront-aquarium-stand-p1.html

And Ive been looking at LED lights as running something that will pull too much power is a concern in my house (Old house with old wiring
) I dont know anything about LEDS though so Im still learning

I was looking at the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System but wasnt sure if the price was just too good to be true.

I don't have as much money this time around as my wife and I are expecting our first child this fall so a lot of my stuff will be DIY and it may be slow to get going with everything. I'm also feeling a little rusty, kind of hoping that this will be like riding the proverbial bike and easy to pick back up. I'm hoping this forum will help me out with a lot of that

Thanks for looking and look forward to hopefully meeting some cool people who also love this hobby

mlogan1

Great, thanks for the reply. Do you know if they would have enough power to support a reef setup? Even just some softies if not high light demanding corals.

silverado61

This is the LED setup I got for my 72g bow front. Its an awesome system but it won't support any light hungry corals. Mushrooms and zoas is about it. I really like it though. It has great effects and a timing system.

mlogan1

I watched a video of them in action and they really are beautiful. Maybe Ill mix those with something a little more powerful

silverado61

A hoods going to take some work with a bow front. If you do build one, post some pictures and let me know how it goes. I'm building a stand for mine with side columns to support the hood.

mlogan1

I found an aquatic fundamentals 72 gallon bow front stand for only $50. I looked up the specs on it and it says its only been tested to hold 720lbs which seems too low to be able to hold a tank full of sand and rocks. Since its sold as a 72 gallon bow front stand I figured Id ask if anyone had experience with it or thought it would be safe enough to use. Its a good price so if it worked out Id be pretty happy