backup power for blackouts

tidepool

Does anyone know about somekinda idea for like a back up battery or something along that line for reef tanks.I'm not looking for something to power the whole tank, but just to keep a powerhead running for a few hours or a day. Its scary to think how much time, effort and money we put into this hobby. Just to have it all come crashing down with one good blackout! I know personaly of people who have lost tanks to this.

frankl15207

We lost power for about 8 hours a few weeks ago because of a nasty storm. I have battery operated pumps that kept things going. Someone mentioned that a computer UPS will power a powerhead for 3 or 4 hours, but I can't be certain of that.

diceman

Yes I run a computer UPS for my system. I like the insurance and peace of mind knowing that everything is running even if power goes out. The one I bought ran about 180.00

ewiski

i have a ups that runs my main pump for like 20 minutes.then i have a power inverter i run off my car battery that runs it however long i have gas in my car.could run the whole tank on it but only the main pump...

B

b.b.bigbrother

I would think a small generator and can of gas everyone should have,that dosn't live in the city. ups would be good for at night and recharge in the day, but i lost power for a few days.

cyslyde

A UPS would be a good idea.... i have thought about doing it myself. the lager the better, and some of the new ones can be "expanded" with additional battery packs depending on your needs.
other than that for an extended blackout you most likely need a generator.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is something that I have been looking in to myself...living in hurricane alley and all. Honda sells some very small portable backups, but they are rather pricy when compared to their larger models. But, they are also very convenient due to small size and low noise.

xrayman

I bought a generator from Lowes about 2 years ago after a terrile ice storm power out for 7.5 days.keeping things in tank alive untill power back on another long story after the store finally got a shipment in we got it home and 15 minutes later power came on,but we are ready for the next time.best thing i ever bought.They also make a battery operated airator that i use to for those little spots were it is off for a hour or so.My guy at fish store said he had heard of a battery operated one that plugs into wall and can tell when power goes off and it automatically kicks on.