bad batch of Instant Ocean

dingo0722

The other day I made a batch of instant ocean like I always do and I noticed the salt did not disolve like it normally does. Its now been 2 days the water is still cloudy and there are large salt granuals still on the bottom. When I stir them up with a powerhead a few hours later they settle to the bottom. The SG of the batch is 1.023 and the temp is at 75 so that is not the issue. I am suspecting the salt I got is bad.
Has anyone had this issue with Instant Ocean lately

reefnut

What kind of water are you using?? What's the alkalinity level?? How did you mix the salt in originally??
Some fokes have had bad batches so it is possible you have one. I'm assuming this is the first batch you have mixed out of the bucket??

dingo0722

The water if from my RO unit so the quality of that is not my concern. This was the first use out of the bag and when I remade the water the second time I used a different salt.

coopersx

I am a newbie. My FOWLR is a little more then 2 mo. old. I added Instant Ocean directly to the water and cycled the salt in my tank for 3 weeks before adding live rock. Some of the salt never disolved and settled at the bottom of the tank. It was a small amount (but enough of a dusting to notice). After stirrring this undissolved white particulate it would imediately return. The water was *Never* cloudy though. I added 15 lbs of salt to a 54 gallon tank. I use well water which is Acidic, zero phosphate, zero nitrate, zero amonia. Alkalinity has not been tested for the tap water but is fine with seasoned water ( I do not remember the parameters of my test kit but this is where my alkalinity stands after adding salt).
I now mix enough salt to make 3 gallons of seasoned water at a time. I run a Maxijet 400 24/7 in this bucket with an areator and do a 3 gallon water change every week. There is always a little (? white salt) residue at the bottom of the bucket. The water is clear and not cloudy. The bucket is Orange so it is easy to see the undissovled particulate. In a white bucket it will probably go unoticed. I use a vented plastic spatula to help stir the salt.
I like the product and have not tried any other salt. Our local pet dealer ( who is in for the money so is an unreliable source) states that this little bit of left over residue is normal.
I am beggining to think the white granuals that do not dissolve are something other then salt and is a normal acceptable amount of unpure *particulate*. ( whatever is considered acceptable by the manufactures standards). I have not ever siphoned these particles out to examine under a microscope or see if I could get them to dissolve under heat.
Instant Ocean is a widely used product and hopefully someone will chime in to state whether a little bit of ? undissolved salt is normal for this particular brand.
Take care, Wayne

buzzword

I used IO, one bucket when I started and had the residue as well and could not keep my pH up or the alk. I switched to Kent and have had zero problems with pH or alk since. I will not go back to IO again. I also used one bucket of Tropic Marin and found it to be basically the same as Kent just more expensive, so now all I use is Kent. I use no additives except Calcium when it drops to 400. HTH

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by dingo0722
The other day I made a batch of instant ocean like I always do and I noticed the salt did not disolve like it normally does. Its now been 2 days the water is still cloudy and there are large salt granuals still on the bottom. When I stir them up with a powerhead a few hours later they settle to the bottom. The SG of the batch is 1.023 and the temp is at 75 so that is not the issue. I am suspecting the salt I got is bad.
Has anyone had this issue with Instant Ocean lately
:scared: DO NOT USE THIS SALT :scared: without testing it first.
Does it look like its collecting a milky deposit on the sides of your container? I had a similer event that caused the death of almost all inverts in my tank. Alkalinity was through the roof.
TEST THE WATER FIRST. Look up my old threads about IO or Instant Ocean
Thomas