bad move

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ooooooohhpeter
i bought a choc chip star fish thinking it was reef safe im such a noob. what can i do now?
Take him back to the store.

sepulatian

whats the worst this thing can this guy do? what are my other types of starfish can i get?
Well, was the star drip acclimated? For how long? CC stars are carnivores and will eat your corals, the worst thing he can do is die if your tank is not fully established with lots of very mature live rock. I do not mean the worst for your tank, I mean the worst for him. How old is your system?

i acclimated for 2 hours by just adding water with turkey baster every 20 mins and take some water out the next 20 mins while floating around in my tank.
-28g tank
-15lb of sand
-22lb of LR (cured)
-salt water (from LFS)
ill post pics

yea ima try to get off work early later on today and see if i can get me a shrimp for this guy at my LFS if not ima have to get rid of him what a waste of $10 bucks. if the LFS wont take the CC ill just give it away . anyone from bay area heads up i might give it away.

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Well, was the star drip acclimated? For how long? CC stars are carnivores and will eat your corals, the worst thing he can do is die if your tank is not fully established with lots of very mature live rock. I do not mean the worst for your tank, I mean the worst for him. How old is your system?

great news LFS took it back. for full amount. also picked up my clowns and my firefish

X

xnikki118x

Good to hear the LFS took it back. I made the same noob mistake years and years ago and he ate ALL of my mushrooms before he finally died.

shobby

I had made the same mistake. My LFS told me he was reef safe. He ate my mushroom corals, caught my arrow crab in him, my cleaner shrimp, and just about anything else that he may grab while it is sleeping. Take him back... I got credit for mine, maybe he will give you store credit. Good luck.

azreefgirl

great news LFS took it back. for full amount. also picked up my clowns and my firefish
You got all 3 of them at the same time?!!!! :scared: I think you're only supposed to add one at a time in a tank the size of yours. It could be too much bio load all at once.

sepulatian

That is great that they took the star back! 3 fish are a lot at once, make sure you have some pre-mixed water on hand to do a quick water change if need be.