bait and tackle stores?

brucewrs

Has anyone ever bought frozen silversides from a bait and tackle store?5lbs for $9.00 by me..Is it safe?thanks

windmill

I can't see any harm in it.
I always try to replicate a critter's natural diet. I know silversides are a common food and I don't know if they are a saltwater fish. But I'd always try to feed my triggers, eels and puffers a very wide variety of meaty saltwater specific species of foods. NO GOLDFISH!!!!!! That always bothered me, but it seemed perfectly normal to other people.
That's one of the fun aspects of this hobby - trying to replicate a creatures natural habitat in every way, shape, and form. From the scenery and environment to light cycles to food and tankmates.

qreef

all the same because silversides are not farm rise.......its safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
man 5lb is a lot of silversides

rykna

Do you know if the silvers sold at local fish stores hae been gut loaded before they're frozen???? just curious. :thinking:

brucewrs

Originally Posted by Qreef
all the same because silversides are not farm rise.......its safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
man 5lb is a lot of silversides

I could not believe how much fish.5lbs is alot..For some strange reason the fish did not go crazy when I fed them. I wonder if they put something on the fish from the ones you but at LFS? My fish ate them but they did not go crazy like they normaly do.

joe 09

the fish you get from the bait stores are not to be eaten.they can be left in the sun and spoiled,they could have all kinds of bad stuff in them.i would try to get some smelts from the fish market they are ment to be eaten.