bait for mantis

cjr579

I'm trying to ketch a mantis with a trap, but I'm not sure what would be the best bait to use. If I put a piece of dead shrimp in there, will that cause my ammonia level to rise?

mrmaroon

If it is a small piece I think that you would be fine. I tried to catch a pistol once( I thought it might be a mantice) using a trap and shrimp. THe only thing I caught was hermits and nassarius. If you can isolate the rock and dip it in fresh water, it should pop right out.
Just a suggestion that worked for me.

peppy

Never done it, but heard some popping noises coming from new LR and read up on it. Turned out to be my Trigger in my other tank across the room, but anyway I read a lot about mantis shrimp. Says to locate the residence of the shrimp, be patient and wait for it to go into its cavity (hole). Once in the rock remove the rock and put in a bucket of saltwater. Pick up rock and using a turkey baster or syringe, squirt fresh water into the hole. The shrimp should come flying out of the hole, or eventually come out after many squirts. If that does not work do everything the same, but use carbonated water or club soda instead. The article said to only use a freshwater dip if you are not concerned about losing any other marine life that my be living on the rock.
Good luck!

cjr579

Well, I was sitting there enjoying my tank and guess who pops his head out of a rock. Yep, the mantis. So I watched him for about 30 min. and waited for him to go back home. When he finally went back to his hole, I quickly removed that rock and put it in a bucket. It wasn't but about 5 min. when he came out. I didn't want to flush him so I put him in my hang-on-fuge. Now all I hear is a snapping noise coming from my fuge. Do yall think he will be alright living in there or should I get rid of him?

clarkiiboi

With the fuge, I have no idea (as I don't have one). But I will say, from reading here, congrats! Not many reefers get that lucky getting those buggers out that fast and easily!