Bak-pak questions

bustedadam

Hey everyone!
I have been reading this site for almost 4 months and have finally decided to post. I am slowly putting together a small (30g) FOWLR system and have a couple of questions about the Bak-pak skimmer/bio filter system.
I currently have 2 maxi-jet power heads to aid in water circulation and my main questions are:
A) do I even need a skimmer for a tank this size
b) in addition to the skimmer would I need a power filter or would the skimmer take the place of it?
I have no fish, sand or rock yet but I know all the reccomendations for that. I don't really want to deal with a sump so that kind of limits me.
I know I will either have 2 power head and a filter...just need to know if a skimmer is needed and what it takes the place of in the aquarium set-up.
Thanks!
Adam

fishmamma

I have skimmers on all three of my tanks: a 29 gallon running with a hang on filter (mostly for flow but I do keep a poly filter in it), and Aqua C Remora HOB skimmer; 16 gallon bow with the same set-up; a 20 gallon with only a skimmer- a knock off of the bak-pak bought very reasonably on an auction site. I also have a good 2#'s/gallon of live rock in all the tanks. I had been very happy with the Aqua C but didn't want to spend the money again for the third tank and knock on wood so far the cheapo has worked just as well and is quite similar.

santi2

yeah, a skimmer is a must have item. but do yourself a favor and go for the c-life superskimmer instead!!! the bakpak works okay at first, but it is a pain down the road. trust me on this one.

santi2

oh, about the powerfilter, it is good for extra water movement and running carbon and other stuff.

gtiguy

I have the bak pak 2 dual pump, it does the job, but like everyone else says it is a pain in the butt, it also needs messing with to really skim the tank, but yes you do need a skimmer, once you see the gunk a good skimmer takes out of your water you will realize why you cant live without one...mine runs 24/7 and trying to find a better skimmer as well......
The best skimmmer you can get is an in sump skimmer imo, but thats more for reefs, hob do the job as well, i am trying to find an ASM G1 wow what a skimmer, :scared:

bustedadam

Thanks guys for all of your help. On the C-life super skimmer, how many gallons pumps thru that baby an hour? I found one online for about $89 does that sound about right?
Now with a skimmer and two decent powerheads, I should really have no need for another filter correct?
Thanks!
A

santi2

hi, the one you're talking about is the smallest one rated for a 65gal. tank, the flow rate of the pump is 325gph. shop around, i see them at some of the biggest online store for around $75.
but if i were you, i would buy the bigger one rated for a 125 gal. tank, the pump for that is 500gph, and it's on sale for $115-same price as the bakpak, but ALOTTTTT better! A power filter is good for running carbon to soak up some nasties and make the water crystal clear and extra water movement. it's not needed but good to have. good luck.

pchromis

I have a CPR hang on fuge with protein skimmer and it has been running for almost a year. It is still performing as new and have had no problems with it.

milomlo

I have the CPR Bak Pak - I personally like my seaclone better. Getting this thing adjusted is a pain and then it just stops producing bubble for no reason. I just added an airstone to it to help out.
You do need a skimmer - you will not believe the crude you pull out. I have a 29 gallon REEF set up. I do recommend a powerfilter as well. I like the extra gunk it pulls out as well. Just my 2 cents

pchromis

My skimmer has been producing bubbles since I installed it. Its almost a year and has not failed to perform.