bak pak skimmer

gabe

I heard alot of talk about this back pack skimmer/biological filter{depending on model}. I have sceen two in the pet trade. One by Rio and the other by CPR. They look exacly alike and sell for the same prices. Is Rio also CPR? Are these the same skimmers?

hermit

I believe that the CPR uses the Rio pump to push it.. That's where I think the confussion lies.. I think that is what it is.. Also on a side note.. I researched the hell out of these filters when I was looking for one for me.. I heard that the Bak-Pak lets alot of bubbles back into the tank.. Be careful.. I believe there is a bubble recapture unit but I think that takes the place of the bio media... Good Luck

kmr

I know alot of people like the Bak-Pak but I wouldn't buy it. They do tend to introduce bubbles into the tank. More importantly I don't feel there is enough contact time between the air bubbles and the water inside the skimmer. For about the same $$ you can find a Knop or similar style skimmer. Just my opinion but to me it makes sense not to have biological filter media on the output of your skimmer. Whatever solids get past your skimmer will get stuck in the filter media and rot.

harris

yeah my CPR bak pak 2 does let a few bubbles into the tank. But I do not have a large bio load. I don't think the bubbles are too bad, but if their are enough, then it could be a problem.
good luck.

gabe

Thanks for the info guys, but why does it matter if some bubbles get back in the tank.I heard about some bubble disease. Can some one explain this to me? And is it better t have the skimmer with or without the biological filter?

T

tattooedlife

I'm running a Bak Pak II in my reef and its wonderful. I had bubbles releasing back in my tank when i first hooked it up, but you can adjust your valve on your airline to stop this. theres no bubbles releasing back in the tank now. There rated as a high quality skimmer, and I'm realy happy with mine. but keep in mind every one likes different skimmers for different reasons.