Baking Soda as Ph Buffer?

markw

Ive heard of people putting baking soda in their tanks daily/weekly as a Ph buffer..how does this work? I dont litterally mean why does it work..but how well does it work as a buffer itself?
Mark

bullitr

you can use mrs wages if you can find one.if you want to use baking soda you have to bake it first

markw

Well you just bake it then you can put it in your tank with the right proportions? This seems interesting to me..
Mark

bang guy

There are several buffers in natural seawater that make up Alkalinity. BiCarbonate and Carbonate are the major components of alkalinity by far followed distantly by Borate. Carbonate is the molecule corals, clams, snails, etc, use to built their Calcium carbonate skeleton. The ratio of Carbonate to Bicarbonate in saltwater is determined mostly by PH so as Carbonate is used up by animals Bicarbonate is converted to Carbonate to maintain the ratio.
"Baked" baking soda is nearly pure Carbonate, often called washing soda. Baking Soda is nearly pure Bicarbonate. As I stated before, the ratio of these two molecules is determined by PH so in the long term it does not matter which you add to your tank. Carbonate will tend to raise PH when added because it will raise PH as it converts to Bicarbonate. The effect is only temporary though.
Mrs. Wages is Lime - Calcium hydroxide - no relation to baking soda.

markw

That cleared alot of it up. Thanks alot! Well then putting it in your topoff water each week would theoretically keep it up?
Mark

markw

Hmmmm...
I wonder if this could also help with stomach aches? Some are caused by high acidity levels..so bringing the pH into the alkaline range should theoretically stop the stomach ache...?
Mark

bullitr

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3133533
There are several buffers in natural seawater that make up Alkalinity. BiCarbonate and Carbonate are the major components of alkalinity by far followed distantly by Borate. Carbonate is the molecule corals, clams, snails, etc, use to built their Calcium carbonate skeleton. The ratio of Carbonate to Bicarbonate in saltwater is determined mostly by PH so as Carbonate is used up by animals Bicarbonate is converted to Carbonate to maintain the ratio.
"Baked" baking soda is nearly pure Carbonate, often called washing soda. Baking Soda is nearly pure Bicarbonate. As I stated before, the ratio of these two molecules is determined by PH so in the long term it does not matter which you add to your tank. Carbonate will tend to raise PH when added because it will raise PH as it converts to Bicarbonate. The effect is only temporary though.
Mrs. Wages is Lime - Calcium hydroxide - no relation to baking soda.
THANKS BANG GUY
HOW IS THE LAGOON DOING?
MURPH145 IS BACK WITH A SOLANA !

cranberry

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3133538
Hmmmm...
I wonder if this could also help with stomach aches? Some are caused by high acidity levels..so bringing the pH into the alkaline range should theoretically stop the stomach ache...?
Mark
Tums.

ophiura

As an aside, when working with tanks in the 10s of thousands of gallon range....
Yes, we would use baking soda. Very cheap, large volume. We had huge bags of it as used in restaurants and bake shops

markw

Oh! I should have thought of that. I was thinking you had a pool of some sorts modded into an aquarium or something. (That would be a completely amazing thing to see!) Good to hear. I had to make up my own face for that one, the forums faces didnt have one that would fit.
Mark

florida joe

The one down side IMO to using baking soda is the chance of accidentally over shooting the ph to dangerous levels with out constant testing

florida joe

http:///forum/post/3133946
Technically, cant that happen with any suppliment without regular testing..?
Mark
Actually there are marine buffers on the market, which state that they will safely raise marine pH to 8.3. and not raise pH above 8.3 even if inadvertently overdosed.

markw

Thats fantastic. I didnt know there could be such a thing that would only have the ability to go that high..or have the ability to not go higher than that. Either way you look at it.
Mark

florida joe

http:///forum/post/3133997
Thats fantastic. I didnt know there could be such a thing that would only have the ability to go that high..or have the ability to not go higher than that. Either way you look at it.
Mark
Mark check out Marine buffer by Seachem

bang guy

I would caution on exclusive use of the Borate buffers by Seachem. Corals cannot use Borate when building skeleton so if the Borate level gets high enough that it replaces Carbonate then corals will stop growing.

fishfreek

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3134463
I would caution on exclusive use of the Borate buffers by Seachem. Corals cannot use Borate when building skeleton so if the Borate level gets high enough that it replaces Carbonate then corals will stop growing.
Bang...what do you suggest using for buffer?

mma-guy

my friend forrest (worked at new england aquarium for 3 years, set up stingray touch tank
) says baking soda works just fine...