baking soda buffer

reavely

ok so I took a tip from Tullock (Natural Reef Aquariums) and used baking soda as a PH buffer in my water change today - well now my tank is full of micro-bubbles escaping the skimmer trap. How long is this going to last? I closed the venturi on the pump to stop it, for now, but how long should I keep this up ? no venturi, no bubbles, no skimming - not good.:mad:

brock

I also do the same thing, I add 2.5 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) every week to my tank, works great on keeping up alkalinity, I dissolve it in saltwater and pour into flow area. you mentioned micro bubbles from skimmer,I dont think that has anything to do with baking soda, you said after a water change you did this, what kind of water, ro/di, or tap water, and if tap water what kind of dichlorinater, some thicker, brands like stress coat, or aqua safe, will make your skimmer go nuts, you will have to turn it off for a few days, and in the future use a watery one, like start right, but if you are using ro/di water, and there for dont' need a di chlorinater than I am not sure, but I haven't seen baking soda do that, if you predissolve it it will dissapear in tank water
hope some of this helps

reavely

yeah I used Auqua-safe, but I've used that before (w/out the combo of baking soda) and not had this kind of reaction. I usually use the aquasafe and then let the water stand for another 24-36 hours - I didn't this time (8hrs), maybe that's it. will the micro-bubbles do any damage to coral or fish? I've heard their not good. But I'm wondering what's worse - skimmer & micro bubbles, or no skimmer & no micro bubbles?