Baking Soda

nigerbang

Whoa....never heard that one..why not just buy some more...and do you really have that big of a problem with pH?

vtfishies

ive heard of it an done it..i took about a half cup tank water baked baking soda..(baked at 350 for 20 mins to remove any moisture) after cooled..took 2-3 tables spoons and mixed well...takeing 1 tbsp and adding to flow of powerhead every 6 hours till i got a reading of desire..8.2...note...should only take 1 to 2 tbsp's to get aquired reading...what is ur ph level..?

alyssia

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Whoa....never heard that one..why not just buy some more...and do you really have that big of a problem with pH?

You can use baking soda to raise your ph, but I'm not sure how.

ophiura

Google:
solving calcium alkalinity problems randy holmes farley
First article
;)
BTW, this is an ALKALINITY buffer.
DO NOT USE THESE unless you know your pH, alkalinity and calcium or you can cause more problem than good!!!!!!!

jam1e

hey I use baking soda .. once a week add 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons into a jug of tankwater .. shake to disolve it then pour it bank into your sump ..

stanlalee

many of the buffers especially the the powdered ones main ingredient is sodium bicarbonate=baking soda.

xdave

Thats what we used in the old days. We did usually get a new box and bake it dry because it absorbs everything in the air.

S

saltfreak4

This is what I used when my calcium levels were correct, but my pH and alkalinity where a little low. Be careful with the stuff. It can falsely increase the pH and then crash it. There is a balance read the article posting that ophiura mentioned, great information.

75bownut

Rule of thumb 1tsp per 10 gallons and yes it works fine , not near as dangerous as soda ash.

vtfishies

Originally Posted by 75bownut
Rule of thumb 1tsp per 10 gallons and yes it works fine , not near as dangerous as soda ash.
2 tablespoons with 1 cup of tank water brought my ph from 7.8 to 8.2
have to be careful...it could indeed create a crash if not monitored and done slowly over a small period of time..i would say if ur unsure about it..use the ph buffer..wait till u can buy it...just becareful when using baking powder...

ophiura

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
My concern with this or any additive is that the pH issue needs to be addressed.

I totally agree on this.
I hope people do read that article because you see how closely all parameters are linked. If you are just dosing buffer all the time for your pH.....you are on the road to trouble, IMO.

S

saltfreak4

I agree, the chemistry makes sense if you bring one out of balance the others will shift in the favor you would like to see on a test, but they will turn around the other way.

ginarox

i just learned something new today...thankyou...i had no clue that baking soda was even used in saltwater...thanks for the info...have a great day....