baking soda ?

buckets

I have read where some people use baking soda for ph/alkalinity control and that it works quite well. Can anyone refelect on this & if so, how much baking soday would I use for a 180 gal. tank. And what alkalinity and/or Ph should I be looking for. I have a reef tank with approx. 10 reef fish and about 8 corals.

salty rick

Do a search on this sight. There have been threads in the past about using baking soda. SOme swear by it others don't.

mrlexington

Baking soda is only a temporary solution, just like those drops you buy for freshwater tanks at Wal-Mart. It will not buffer the water for any extended period of time. You can use it however to buffer some water you might use temporarly (i.e. fresh water dip). Don't be cheap just by the proper buffering agents. Chow

kens

my snails and crabs do a wonderful job of keeping the algae at bay, but my ph dropped to 7.8 the other day, so in haste i used a half teaspoon of baking soda for my 75 gallon tank. ph is now 8.4 and i have more algae than i can shake a stick at. most baking soda contains phosphates. watch out.
sorry about the typing, i have a broken hand :D