Bamboo Shark question

minton_37

OK I know very little about sharks, but I bought a shark egg a couple of days ago, tuesday actually. I had credit at my LFS and had to use it so I got the egg. I have heard they are very hard to get eating, my question is what do I need to feed him, and what is the best method of feeding him? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ben

jim27

IMO, the best method of feeding a newly hatched shark is with a feeding stick. They usually aren't hard to get to eat but it can take around two weeks. Try squid, silversides, shrimp, octopus, etc

puffy_1234

I have hatched an egg about 4 weeks ago... and still can't get my shark to eat... could something be wrong...he's becoming more active then he was before... I am hoping that will help... I am going tomorrow to buy silversides, and hoping that he'll eat that.... I just hope my baby doesn't die.

chrismilano

My LFS hatched one on sept 29th and its about 6 inches long now. Ill ask next time Im there what they feed it. If you want to ask them, call aquarium center on Blackwood Clementon Road in Blackwood NJ.
Hes beautiful, black with polkadots and very sleek for lack of a better word. Id buy him in a second for $60 if he'd stay that size!

j21kickster

Although i have never kept sharks ( i plan to) In Scott Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" it is said that sharks dont eat for about the first month after they have hatched and are still living off of the food it has stored from when it was devloping- So this being the case, 4 weeks dosent sound bad - offer food ocasionally and if it dosent eat- take it out and keep trying later- Also in the sharks and rays i have kept at mu work i have never had one refuse live ghost shrimp (assuming they are healthy to begin with) HTH

j21kickster

also if you dont know much about sharks (or rays)- the book i stated above is a great start- How large is your tank and what else do you have in it?