Banded cat shark tankmates?

Ok nothing is set in stone, but I might be getting a banded cat shark when my new tank is set up, it is going to be a 125 to a 180 not sure yet,
I am just running through ideas, anyway I was wondering what you guys have kept with the bandeds, I know triggers and puffers are out, I was leaning more twards one large angel and a couple tangs, can I have some opinions?
thanks

ophiura

180 would be the minimum to even consider, IMO.
I would be wary, also, of large angels. any fish that has a tendency to pick can harm a shark. Tangs are probably generally OK. A Lionfish also would be suitable. Something like a harlequin tusk might be nice.

crimzy

A 180 would work for a few years... but I would hope that you would not plan to keep a 40" shark in a tank that is 72" x 24".
As far as tankmates, stay away from angels. Only the most docile will leave the shark alone and even those would be a gamble. Most tangs are OK but stay away from the real aggressive ones such as sohals, clowns. Foxfaces are OK, stay away from wrasses and parrots. Groupers should be fine as long as they are not big enough to eat the shark. As I've recently discovered, moorish idols probably won't work. I'd say that most butterflies should work. Batfish should be ok. As Ophiura said before, lions and harlequin tusks would generally be ok. Rays should be fine if the tank is large enough. Eels would generally work as long as they are big enough. That's all I can think of right now.

ophiura

Yes. The footprint of the tank, really more so than the volume, is critical to sharks like these.

tonysi

I'd most most likely stay away from foxfaces and lions cause you never know if the shark might brush up against it.
But tangs are good any larger docile fish would be fine.Some people even put lookdowns or golden pilots with sharks.Bats are always a good choice as well.

ok thanks guys
this is my current wish list:
Harlequin tusk
yellow tang
hippo tang
either orange shoulder or naso tang
perhaps an eel
how do you guys think a Majestic angel would work if I introduce him once the shark has been in the tank for a while?

keri

Please remember too that a shark will put out a lot of waste so bigger is better in that sense as well :)

I agree. Most books will tell you at least 125 for a bamboo cat. I had one in a 150 by himself and he did very well. However, I would say that the 180 would be better, cause it gives a a 24" width vs 18" of the 150. Foxface and maybe either a snowflake or a fibrated (sp?) eel would be ok, a lion fish. Like others, I would say away from angels, my experience is that tend to a wolf in sheeps clothes lol.
I always called my bamboo shark my aquatic dog. Eventually he finally die of just old age.

ophiura

The thing is, there may be no going back if you get a fish that nips. I've seen angels nip at the eyes of the shark. If they do that, you can remove the angel...but the damage is already done. This is not just fin nipping necessarily.

ok thanks again, maybe I will just for get the angel and get the naso and orange shoulder or something like that, I still have time to think about it
thanks again

krj-1168

Well - I would consider a 180 gallon to be minimum for a Bamboo shark pup.
Even then a pup will likely out grow it in about 18 months.
As for tank mates - NO trigger, Puffers, Angels and any other fish that tend to pick on sharks. Also IMO stay away from Lions - as your shark could even up dead(remember Lions are venomous). Tangs are okay so long as you place then in a QT before adding them to your tank. Groupers & eels are usually okay so long as they aren't too aggressive, or large enough to consider the shark potential prey.