Bang Guy (Banggai) Question

kdfrosty

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Banggai from SWF.com when/if they come in. I cant find them or order them from my LFS', so I added them to my wishlist here.
Anyways, I have a couple questions:
-I want two. Is it a bad idea to order two Banggai from an online store? I'm worried about them both being male, and one killing the other.
-After reading numerous threads in which you and Dr. Marini have replied to, it seems that aquacultured Banggai are the way to go. Any idea if SWF.com sells aquacultured or wild caught Banggai?
Thanks!!!

greggti

You should take a trip up here to New Hampshire. They are 11 dollars and very abundanat at my lfs.
I thought that you should only have more than one if you have a VERY large tank?

hot883

When I bought mine there were like 30 in 1 tank. Mine is in with 2 firefish gobies, bi-color angel, a small clown gobie and a yellow tang. He hides all day in the back unless it is feeding time.

bang guy

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
-I want two. Is it a bad idea to order two Banggai from an online store? I'm worried about them both being male, and one killing the other.
-After reading numerous threads in which you and Dr. Marini have replied to, it seems that aquacultured Banggai are the way to go. Any idea if SWF.com sells aquacultured or wild caught Banggai?
Thanks!!!
I believe SFW.COM used to sell Wild Caught Banggai. That could be why they are out of stock. Recently the wild Banggai coming in have not lived long and many stores stopped ordering them.
Buying two is fine but I would see if a local hobbiest or nearby store would be willing to purchase one from you if they both turn out to be male. If so then getting 3 or 4 might be a better answer and then wait for a pair to form before pasing the other fish on.
It is worth the wait for aquacultured in my opinion.

goldenboy

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Recently the wild Banggai coming in have not lived long and many stores stopped ordering them. It is worth the wait for aquacultured in my opinion.

I went through 3 banggai's without knowing of this difference in wild caught disease. I couldn't figure out why they would eat for a week or two and then mysteriously be dead. Bang told me about this and I've had my aquacultured banggai healthy now for 3+ months. Only thing is I switched up the meat diet that I use to soak in zoe to cyclopeeze. He won't touch meat anymore, but he eats at least 2 times a day formula 2 flake. Bang do yours eat flake?

kdfrosty

I went by a LFS and asked about ordering Banggai today. The guy there said that he's been meaning to order about 6 of them, but just kept forgetting to. He's planning on ordering some, and they should arrive next Tuesday.
He wasn't sure if they were aquacultured or wild caught though. He thinks that they're aquacultured though, stating that "all the fish I order from my supplier are aquacultured." I'm not sure what to think.
Also, he plans on putting all six Banggai that he receives in to a 50g DT. Is there any way to tell --- when they are in the DT at the LFS? Any tell tale signs? He said that he would not allow me to take 3 home and figure out what --- each fish is. It is against store policy. Now that I think about it there are no LFS' that have a SWF guarantee. Is that pretty common?

goldenboy

He wasn't sure if they were aquacultured or wild caught though. He thinks that they're aquacultured though, stating that "all the fish I order from my supplier are aquacultured."

Guess he doesn't carry much of a variety then...I'd keep looking.

kdfrosty

Nope, he doesn't have much of a variety. It's not a SW aquaria specific store...they also sell dogs, birds, snakes, etc. That's the reason I don't frequent the place.
Now, back to the Banggai question...

wanabebell

bangiis are one of the easiet fish to have schools up
get them in pairsand if you want you can get the two bangii in seperet bags from saltwaterfish.com

schadiest1

i don't believe i've seen a sw fish guarantee in my area.
i read an article that says male banggai cardinals have a longer 2nd dorsal fin.

merredeth

Now that I think about it there are no LFS' that have a SWF guarantee. Is that pretty common?
My local shop guarantees fish to me for 24 hours. I am not sure I would if I was in the business though as tank conditions vary too greatly.
Some online stores have guarantees. One place I purchased from has a six day guarantee.
Denise M.