Bang Guy, Theory on my tank percipitation

hkgar

I wrote last week about low CA and clogging of sponges and impellers and we (you) decided it was due to precipitation but unsure where from.
My theory
I have been dosing Kalk for about 4 weeks without doing proper research or reading (my bad). Inadvertently some of the Kalk percipitate was getting into the tank. My current research say that the Kalk percipitate will suck up the CA and adhere it like rock candy to most any surface. i am about 99% sure that is what has happened.
My cure right now is to do about 5 daily water changes of about 10% and cautiously raise the CA to 425 by adding part 1 of Randy's 2 part several times a day while monitoring CA and dKh. I will add part 2 as needed
I am not sure about going back to Kalk as I am a bit gun shy. I think I have ruined my Mag 7 pump as after getting it cleaned of the percipitate it still only seems to be pumping at about 1/2 or less volume.
So, what do you think about my theory?

N

nereef

sounds like more of a plan than a theory...
if alk is too high, you won't be able to raise Ca by simply adding Ca. CaCO3 will simply fall out of solution, as you have found. if you have the equipment to do it (large rubbermaid, powerhead, heater, and test kits), than a large water change of 50% would be a faster and easier fix, imo.
as for dosing again with kalkwasser, just make sure to moniter pH, alk, Ca. do you have a bunch of sps? is your Ca consistantly low? i guess my question is, why did you decide to dose?

hkgar

I am adding 2 cups of Randy 2 part formula every day and dosing about a gallon of Kalk and my calcium stays at about 350. I am also getting calcium build up on the impellers of my pumps and power heads. Is this calcification on the impellers normal? Also the sponges on the pumps get full of the calcium (or maybe the part 2 mix) and turn almost to stone. Am I doning some thing wrong?
Oh Yah. Tank is 90 plus a 30 gallon sump and I have about 200 polups of candy cane coral which probably sucks up a lot of calcium.
Mag is 1380 and dKh is 8. Ph about 8.1 or 8.2

scopus tang

Originally Posted by hkgar
http:///forum/post/2622872
I am not sure about going back to Kalk as I am a bit gun shy. I think I have ruined my Mag 7 pump as after getting it cleaned of the percipitate it still only seems to be pumping at about 1/2 or less volume.
So, what do you think about my theory?
hkgar, if you haven't yet, take your Mag and other pumps (powerheads) out of your tank and run them in a solution of water and vinegar. The acidic vinegar will remove any remaining kalc precipitate, and should return them to full pumping capacity (I believe recommended time in the vinegar bath is an hour or so). Rinse by running them in mixed saltwater, and then return them to your tank.

bang guy

I can't really see any holes in your theory. Kalk precipitate is pure Calcium carbonate and works as a seed crystal when introduce to tank water. Magnesium kill the seed crystal fairly quickly but it's not instant.
The reason pumps and heaters gather Calcium carbonate is because they are slightly warmer than the surrounding water. When a precipitation event is about to happen the warmer spots will start first.
Vinegar is a perfect way to clean it off. You actually don't even have to rinse.