Bang, or other DSB knowing people? What critters are best to maintain a DSB?

hairtrigger

Hey, I know you arent supposed to stir up a DSB too much. I am going to max mine out at about 5 or so inches. Maybe 6... thoughts? But, what critters are optimal for a DSB like that? I don't want to add anything that will stir it up and cause it to malfunction. Not that it's a computer or anything. :cool:

dad

I am not sure what you mean by critters? worms? inverts?
I would only go with a 4" DSB. DSB's are still really unknown.
But most are having best results with a 3 1/2" to 4" as far as I can tell, ;)

hairtrigger

Uh oh... I see a DSB debate starting. I might just make a new thread for it. I have also heard denitrification doesnt start until 4 inches. I am sooooooo confused now. Bang, where are you? :D

hairtrigger

Hey, no worries. Every little bit helps. Sometimes twice. Thanks for the thought though. I appreciate it. :cool:

broomer5

My understanding is it all depends on grainsize, life in the sandbed and areas of low oxygen in the deeper layers in the bed.
In other words - what may work for one person may not for another.
The 4-6 inches - like many things - are guidelines.
You can't really say that at 3-7/8 inches - you will not get denitrification - but by adding another 1/8" of sand - all of sudden you cross the 4" mark - and denitrification starts working.
Wish it were that simple - but it doesn't work like that.

hairtrigger

Makes sense broomer. Now let me ask you this though... would you say four inches is a minimum that you would want to risk. Essentially, to be safe, 4 inches and up is best?
I know you cant classify it as a deffinite or not, but, I am curious about what is the safest, hopefully surest route to go.

broomer5

Well I guess we go back to the rule of thumbs - although not always a "for sure" - guidelines do help.
4-6 inches
Tell ya what - do a 6 inch DSB and let it "evolve" and mature for several months.
Make sure you have pods/worms and a good clean-up crew.
That and keeping excellent water conditions - bout it !
Monitor you nitrates too. If your bioload is low relative to your biological filtration - you "SHOULD" see a drop in nitrates as the LIVING DSB becomes more established.
It took mine months to begin doing anything.

hairtrigger

Sweet. That seems like it puts me more at ease than some things I have heard. I know I sound whiny asking for specifics. But, your advice has been good so far. That's why I ask what you'd do. Thanks yet again Broomer. Ever need a reef reference, you got it. :D

jonthefb

as far as critter go, try gettign a scoop of live sand from a friends tank that has been established for awhile. this will be full of tiny bugs/critters/worms that will reproduce rapidly in a dsb and will work on stirring and aerateing the top layer, as this is the layer that contains aerobic (oxygen loving) bacteris. nassarious and cerith snails are also great for this as they will bury in the sb, feed on detritus and algae and at the same time aerate the top layers of the sand. plus these little guys reproduce like bunnies iin a tank which is always a good source of food for corals fish, etc!
good luck
jon