Bangai sexes

anadliv

How do you tell male from female in bangai fish? I have read the shape of the head differs but when i am at the fish shop I cant see a difference. If anyone has any tips or pictures I would be very appreciative.

fmarini

you cant really.
While i proposed back in 96 &97 that you could identify male vs female based on jawlines, its a really tricky thing, and very subtle. After seeing 1000's of these fish, I'm still a full 50/50.
So I tell folk to get 5,young ones, place in a tank and watch for pairing to occur, then remove the odd men out.

anadliv

I have a 20 gallon tank with just one fish now. I plan on removing the existing damsel. Do you think I could fit 5 bangai cardinals in a 20 gallon tall just untill I find a pair?

If you have a proven male, place an unknown and if they are both males they will start to fight almost immediately.

florida joe

Bang guy in my opinion is the house pro on Banggai cardinal you may try pming him
From why I understand mature males have a more massive jaw structure and often longer dorsal fins. This may not be to reliable thought as fin loss may be the result of infighting between individuals