banggai cardinals

bang guy

I've raised thousands of Banggai. I usually just delete links but that one is excellent so I'm going to leave it.
If the link leaves questions in your mind just post them in this thread and I'll do my best.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3243020
I've raised thousands of Banggai. I usually just delete links but that one is excellent so I'm going to leave it.
If the link leaves questions in your mind just post them in this thread and I'll do my best.
With all due respect Bang if we refer all Banggai questions to our resident pro.(you) He will have no time to help the rest of us

aquapod 24

thank you for the link and thank you for leaving it up =)
that website answered most of my questions but i still have a few
1. what size tank would you recomend for the fry tank? (in the article they show a net or like a 1 gallon tank but i have seen other websites that say a 10 gallon tank is good)
2. what size tank would you recomend for the parents? (i am going to put a tank divider in this tank to keep the male in after he realeases the fry and build back up his strength for about 2 weeks)
3.how much and how offten should you do a water change for the fry tank? (i am planning to put a little live rock in here if that makes a difference)
4.would it be safe to dye toothpicks black? (i am going to make a fake urchin and i think black would look a lot better than brown)
5.can you reause the water that you hatch brine shrimp in?
6. would it be better to have 2 separate tanks or one big tank that is divided? (or doesnt it matter)
7.Should you have sand in the fry tank?
thanks in advance

bang guy

My opinion are in Blue
Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3243374
thank you for the link and thank you for leaving it up =)
that website answered most of my questions but i still have a few
1. what size tank would you recomend for the fry tank? (in the article they show a net or like a 1 gallon tank but i have seen other websites that say a 10 gallon tank is good)
I think 10 gallon tanks are perfect.
2. what size tank would you recomend for the parents? (i am going to put a tank divider in this tank to keep the male in after he realeases the fry and build back up his strength for about 2 weeks)
At least 20 gallons but should have some type of cover in it like a rock ledge they can hang out under.
3.how much and how offten should you do a water change for the fry tank? (i am planning to put a little live rock in here if that makes a difference)
I'm a fan of lots of water changes. I typically plumb the fry tank in with the display tank for a constant trickle.
4.would it be safe to dye toothpicks black? (i am going to make a fake urchin and i think black would look a lot better than brown)
I'd recommend black plastic zip ties instead. It doesn't have to really look like an Urchin, just any form of cover will work. Have the hiding places only in one place though so they congregate there. It makes feeding easier.
5.can you reause the water that you hatch brine shrimp in?
I don't. I suppose you could since you're only hatching them and not raising them. Don't feed ONLY brine shrimp or they will be suseptible to sudden death syndrome and swim bladder isues. Oyster eggs, Cyclop-eeze, and Prawn eggs are an excellent food. The sooner you have them off of live food the better.
6. would it be better to have 2 separate tanks or one big tank that is divided? (or doesnt it matter)
I don't think it matters.
7.Should you have sand in the fry tank?
I think it's helpful. I also usually have at least one very large Fireworm in the fry tank to clean up leftover food and casualties.
thanks in advance

aquapod 24

thank you...
i dont think i am going to plumb these tanks into my other tank so what would you say is a good waterchanging schedule
also can you have snails and hermitcrabs in with the fry?

bang guy

http:///forum/post/3243824
thank you...
i dont think i am going to plumb these tanks into my other tank so what would you say is a good waterchanging schedule
also can you have snails and hermitcrabs in with the fry?
Hermit Crabs are predators so I would definately not add them to a fry tank.
For a 10 gallon tank that's not connected to the DT I would replace 1 or 2 gallons of water a day with DT water and add new saltwater into the DT to replace what was taken. I like to do this to condition the fry to DT water.

bang guy

The algae consuming Snail in the hobby are harmless to fish fry.
I like to get the fry acclimated to DT water so they don't get shocked when placed in a tank.

aquapod 24

by tank do you mean any tank like the one at the fish store or people that i sell them to tank... or my tank (i do not plan to keep all of them)... i dont see the purpose of getting them used to my DT water when they are not going to go in there..... or is there something in most aquariums that is not in the fry tank?
also, does mixed saltwater go bad?

bang guy

It's just my opinion. I think new saltwater is somewhat different than water from the typical reef tank. That's just me. I can't think of any harm from using new saltwater so that should be great.
If it's stored in a good container mixed saltwater will stay fresh for quite a while. I wouldn't personally go more than a month though but I'm fairly conservative.

aquapod 24

alright thanks... i wasnt going to leave it for a long time just going to fill up little one gallon containers so i dont have to mix up water every day.
do you suggest separating the fry so the bigger ones dont get all the food? if so when do you start separating?

aquapod 24

i just got the tanks... a 10 gallon for the fry and a 15 gallon for the parents (i know you said 20 but they didnt have any 20 gallons and i got their last 15 gallon and it was on sale!)i hope this will be alright
the 15 gallon came with a topfin 20 hob filter with 100gph... will this be enough filtration/flow? if not what filter would you suggest?

bang guy

http:///forum/post/3244414
alright thanks... i wasnt going to leave it for a long time just going to fill up little one gallon containers so i dont have to mix up water every day.
do you suggest separating the fry so the bigger ones dont get all the food? if so when do you start separating?
I don't usually seperate them but if a few stragglers refuse to switch to dead food then I will.

bang guy

http:///forum/post/3244515
i just got the tanks... a 10 gallon for the fry and a 15 gallon for the parents (i know you said 20 but they didnt have any 20 gallons and i got their last 15 gallon and it was on sale!)i hope this will be alright
the 15 gallon came with a topfin 20 hob filter with 100gph... will this be enough filtration/flow? if not what filter would you suggest?
That should be fine.

aquapod 24

how can i speed my cycle up.... should i put a cup of sand in from my reef and a little piece of rock and put in a gallon of water?

bang guy

http:///forum/post/3244637
how can i speed my cycle up.... should i put a cup of sand in from my reef and a little piece of rock and put in a gallon of water?
That will definately help.
Do you have a spare powerhead to temporarily increase the water flow?