banggai cardinals

aquapod 24

i filled it up today... should i expect to see a cycle if i put a gallon of water from my reef in and a couple hanfulls of sand along with a fist sized piece of live rock in?

bang guy

Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3245487
i filled it up today... should i expect to see a cycle if i put a gallon of water from my reef in and a couple hanfulls of sand along with a fist sized piece of live rock in?
The water from your reef isn't going to make any difference as far as a cycle is concerned.
Keep in mind the goal - growing bacteria on the surfaces to facilitate the Nitrogen cycle. You'll want a steady, slight, ammonia source. I like to use tiny amounts of fish food.

aquapod 24

the tank was really cloudy when i first put sand in but it settled down within 12 hours. but now when you just poke the sand not even stir it up just touch it the whole tank get cloudy and it takes a couple of hours to settle down but even then it is still never perfect. when you touch it this cloud of stuff comes up and fills up the whole tank. i rinsed the sand for the recomended time and it is sugar sized grains.

bang guy

It will calm down once there's a bacteria coating on the individual sand grains. Don't worry about it clouding up, there's nothing in there to see anyway.

aquapod 24

would shrimp, starfish, sponges, cucumber, or goby disrupt breeding?... is there some other reason that i should not get one of these?

bang guy

Again, opinions will differ on this.
I do not recommend Starfish and Cucumbers for nano tanks. They can sometimes work but the odds of success are low and I don't ever recommend anything that doesn't have a high success rate.
The only issue I have with the Goby and Shrimp is that if the male spits out the fish when you're not expecting it the Shrimp and Goby will pounce on the fry.

teresaq

How about some pictures. I want a breeding pair for my seahorse tank. I can then raise the fry with my seahorse babies (if they ever get thier transfers right). I would like to find a pair of captive bred, but having problems finding them at my lfs.
T

aquapod 24

here ya go... only the 15 gallon (for the parents) is full. i am going to get more live rock this weekend. excuse the 2 different color lights, i was just playing around with different color incadecent bulbs but i ordered a 2 50/50 pc bulbs that skrew into regular lightbulb base because i think incadencent are not bright enough. the bottom picture is of the 10 gallon (for the fry) but i will fill that up when i get the adults.

aquapod 24

is there a way to store them after you decap them for future hatching? or do you have to decap each batch individually and then hatch right after you decap them?

aquapod 24

i think thats what im going to do... i got a green serpant star =)... im going to call around today and see if any of the stores have any banggais

aquapod 24

well my store finally got some it... this is the first time i have seen them there and they only got 2 of them. I bought both of them and think i have a pair. One has a longger banner fin and a squared off jaw line so i think this is the male and the other bhas a short banner fin and a rounded jaw line. They also seem to be swiming near eachother, but i dont know if this is juvonial (sp?) schooling behavior or if they are doing it because they are a pair. They are still small ( only about 2" - 2.5" from snout to tip of tail) how long untill they are mature and ready to spawn? ill put up some pictures soon.