Bare Bottom Tanks

fishtanker

i was wondering who out there goes Bare Bottom on their tank? what are your opinions on it? has it helped to keep waste in suspension.
i sucked out about 80% of my southdown this weekend so that i could direct powerheads on the bottom to keep the fish waste ( ihave a lot of it) in the current to be sucked up by the filter. its working well right now and am curious as to other people's opinion on bare bottom tanks.
Brian

fishtanker

was your tank setup as a bare bottom? do you notice any stress on the fish?
i've read from some people that the fish will get streesed out without a substrate. i didn;t notice any stress but its only been a day since i converted and only about 50% of the bottom is showing.
i guess when the corals spread over the bottom and i add some rubble the glass won;t be showing anyway :notsure:
do you or anyone have any pics of the bare bottom tanks?

krishj39

With bare bottom, do you rest the rocks on PVC or something, or just right on the glass? If you have them resting on something, how do you hide it so it doesn't look un-natural?

fishtanker

thanks skilos...looks good
i'm not sure i agree with the stress thing with bare bottom tanks. on;y a few sources have stated that. i mean in the ocean some fish will live there whole lives over a reef legde with no bottom in sight. i think i'll either secure some white construction paper underneith or just leave it as is. definitely not going back to a sand bed.