Bare Bottom Tanks...

reefnut

For those of you that have had your BB Tanks running for a while now... do you still like it?? any problems??
I am moving and since I have to disturb my sand bed anyway I'm considering a BB in the display. It will be a 110g Reef.
All comments are welcome.

jmick

I run a bare bottom on my 120 sps set up. There are pros and cons to the set up. I have a lot of flow in my tank and it keeps the majority of the detritus suspended so my skimmer can pull it out. That said, there are some dead spots where detritus builds up and thankfully, they are very easy to vacuum out and keeping this tank clean is very very easy. I also run a 55 gallon fuge with a lot of chaeto in it and I use filter socks to catch any addtional waste before it can collect in the fuge (wash the socks every other day and it's amazing how much waste they collect in a such a short time). Nutrient lvls in my tank are basically 0. The only pest algae I have is the calcerous types (halimida and a few others).
IMO, the only real con is the look of the tank. I think a nice shallow sand bed looks a lot nicer but as the tank matures and the bottom is covered in coraline it looks better.

happyhourh

I like mine BB still. Just be sure you vacuum regularly. I also have a powerhead laying sideways on the bottom that blows diagonally across the bottom of the tank. I feel this helps keep the dust in the water column so that it will get skimmed out.

ogredawg

Originally Posted by Jmick
IMO, the only real con is the look of the tank. I think a nice shallow sand bed looks a lot nicer but as the tank matures and the bottom is covered in coraline it looks better.
I like this better than coraline :)

I'm hoping by the next six months the front part will be covered by gps to give it a "grass" look.

Originally Posted by digitydash
wow ogredawg thats awsome do u have a full tank view I would really like to see it

i agree thats sick looking !!!!
i like that a lot. never thought of doing something like that

ogredawg

Here's an older pic. I will try to take a picture tonight because there are some changes in the tank.
Thanks for the comments by the way. I've always wanted gsp all over the back wall but that's because I've always had DSB.

frankthetank

You know I just thought of one thing. I guess you'll have to constantly make sure they don't grow up the sides and front of the glass too. The back glass would be cool though, I guess. I saw a tank once that had zoos growing on the back.

hefner413

where did you get the rose bta? and just wondering... anybody know if you will usually get a green or rose bta when you order the bta here on SWF.com?

ogredawg

Originally Posted by Hefner413
that anenome looks awesome - how big is it?
Thanks! The base is probably 5" and tentacles are around 3-3.5". And I got them from a friend because his anemone split 4 times. I had another rose before this one but that one had a green base which I really didn't like as much. This one is just all red and sometimes has double bubbles :).

ogredawg

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
You know I just thought of one thing. I guess you'll have to constantly make sure they don't grow up the sides and front of the glass too. The back glass would be cool though, I guess. I saw a tank once that had zoos growing on the back.
I'm just going to cut it with the razor blade when it does get to the front and give the frag away, I can do that with the sides too but I rather not. How many people do you know have purple side walls outside and gsp inside :) I've seen people with zoos also but the only thing is that I have pretty good flow in there and zoos aren't as pretty as gsp with a lot of flow blowing on them. that's why i'm not going to let my yellow polyps grow out like that.