barracuda

brad26

does anyone know where i can get small barracuda from? any info will be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know of places online to get them from?

stacyt

You do realize they grow quickly, and extremely large right? I've seen them at various LFS, but would not recommend them unless you have a very large tank.

i thinkn i know a site were u can get one it is no links it is like 300 for the fish tho i would not get one un less u have a very big tank it says min tank is 300 gallon

I

irenicus

Barracudas get very big very fast. Plus don't they have to be in a species only tank.

betts

Brad, being here in Florida and next to the coast we had the luxury of catching a small barracuda at about 1/2" long. We caught him in Jan and by March we had to turn him back to the ocean. He was going on a good 18" when released and he ate like a pig!! We enjoyed him while we had him, but even in our 300 gal he really was growing much to fast. Good Luck in finding one.

fshhub

300 gal??
that aint nearly big enough for grown cuda
I can not say for sure how fast they grow(form experience) but I can say that I have seen them over 6ft(easy)
a 300 gallon would be about big enough to soak one like that in(most 300s I have seen are only 8 ft long)

fshhub

Originally posted by bacardibombillo
I say Grow it all u can, Then trade it or sell it, If u cant get rid of it make a Very special meal Baracuda fillets ;) lol...

That would not only show ignorance, but insanity for anyone who knew better!!!!!!!!
Anyone know why barracuda is not on any menus??
TOxins!
Barracuda, about 92% of the time, wil make you so sick you will wish you were dead, and for a couple of weeks NOT hours. and then, It can relapse for no reason at al up to and over 1 year later.
NOT flaming, but anyone who reads this, PLEASE do not ever try barracuda for dinner. In 3d world countries, some do eat it, but they are slightly more resistant to it, not sure if it is bc they are exposed to it or why, but they seem to be less likely(but NOT immune). I actually think it is b/c they do have to eat it form time to time and build up a tolerance.

E

elan

barracuda toxicity..... FACTS..
Generally speaking, barracuda are safe to eat, even very tasty, IF UNDER TWO FEET IN LENGTH!!!!!
After two feet, they may carry a toxin known as ciguatera (sp). Usually, fish that eat off of the local reefs may contain this toxin, but only after they have been around enough to accumulate this toxin to a level that is harmful for human consumption.
Many other reef fish may contain ciguatera and this is not only related to barracuda.
I personally have eaten small barracuda and regard this fish to be excellent in taste.
when filleted, the meat is white and tender. when cooked, the meat is very flaky.

conogre

triggeraa, eventually, if not sooner I expect that you'll have some additional difficulties with your barricuda as a diet of freshwater feeders will eventually cause his immune system to break down.....you could purchase filets of ANY kind of saltwater fish at the local supermarket which would be a massive improvement.
Living on the coast in Florida, we occassionally catch juveniles and rear them in our 300 until about 12" to 18" then return them to the sea, and the average growth rate is about 3" per month, the reason I say "additional" problems as yours is way below the norm.(we've probably raised and observed 20 or more over the years)
For anyone wishing to maintain a 'cuda, there is a close relative called a Sennet that often only grows to about 12" to 15" that has the same dentition as their larger relatives.
We've always maintained them in our community aggressive/predator tanks and have no problem except that they are occassionally picked on.....they are predatory but NOT aggressive, except at mealtime and will almost always try to run from a confrontation, much like a freshwater pirana.
I've attached a photo of our last one next to one of our volitans lions, who actually waited underneath the 'cuda and fed on the parts it dropped when it was fed larger prey.......once siezed and held sideways in the jaws, you wath the "cheek" muscles clench and it was cut cleanly in half (the 'cuda would swallow the tail section while the lion snapped up the front)
Surprisingly, one thing we've noticed is that baricuda swallow their prey TAILFIRST when it's large enough to matter, to my knowldge the only pred that does this.

triggeraa

Conogre, I have kept barracuda before including the pacific barracuda which grows much smaller. My last barracuda was 12" when he jumped the divider and was eaten by my grouper. The feeders are given as a treat, not a staple. The sennet grows too small to live with my grouper. He would swallow him like a feeder. I am seriously considering building a saltwater lagoon in the range of 15,000 gallons. I have a lot of experience building large scale filtration systems as well as fish ponds. My brother has a 3000 gallon shark tank. We get free filtered saltwater from the birch aquarium. I live in ca. so the weather is very mild. Thanks for the insight.