Basement Sumps

reefnut

For those that have their sumps setup a floor down from the display... what is the best way to set it up? Do you have to do anything special for the sump inlet??
Thanks,

bonebrake

I am not quite sure what you mean by "sump inlet", but I used 3/4" ID-1" OD flexible tubing and ran two drains from my tank through the floor to my 100 gal. sump/refugium 12' below and the same flexible tubing from the pump going back up to the display. I have my 100 gal. sump/refugium about 18" off the basement floor with with six concrete blocks making three columns: two blocks high each. My return pump is only a Danner Mag Drive 12.

I use a throttled back Mag 7. It has 1/2 inch pipe going up and 3/4 going back down. It is about a 8' height differance.
I throttle it back for 2 reasons. The 3/4 return can't take the flow and second all the water goes through a phosban reactor and the media can't take anymore flow.
Good luck

big

Originally Posted by ReefNut
For those that have their sumps setup a floor down from the display... what is the best way to set it up? Do you have to do anything special for the sump inlet??
Thanks,

I have one, give me more info on flow, tank size,sump size, pumps , head rise etc.
They can become quite an expensive project.