Battling Aiptasias

What's the best way to fight these pesky Aiptasias aside from getting a Peppermint shrimp or nudibranches? I lost the battle 2 years ago and I'm settin g up my new 55 gal uniquarium into a Reef tank...I just wanna be prepared if I see htem again...:thinking:

dragonboy

Use concentrated alk or kalk on a sringe and squirt them on their base. You could even use acidic lime juice to do it.

Boiling hot water does the trick too but you'd have to make sure they are in a spot where nothing else will get damaged. Kinda tricky but it does work. Can I ask why you don't want a peppermint? You must have a hawk fish or something, right?

I had a peppermints shrimp before. It was a greta help but later on disappeared ro died..don't know what happened to it...just checking if there are other ways to prevent these..I guess I'll buy one later on...should I get a juvenile? :jumping:

volitan

Peppermints work great, but if you're opposed to using them try a copperband butterfly. I acclimated one for 20 minutes and released it. It immediately started picking at them. I have no aipaisia currently.

saltydog

Originally posted by Something'sFishy
What's the best way to fight these pesky Aiptasias aside from getting a Peppermint shrimp or nudibranches? I lost the battle 2 years ago and I'm settin g up my new 55 gal uniquarium into a Reef tank...I just wanna be prepared if I see htem again...:thinking:

I agree with the Copperband recommendation. I've had one for over 2) years eats every aptasia and Mysis shrimp. Its also a beautiful fish. IMO
Salty