Be careful

rickt4du

Came home last night after work to find a dead arrow crab, two dead cleaner shrimp and a dead pin cusion urchin in my 10 gal. I throught it was the dreaded crash I've heard about, especially since I had done a water change the night before.
I reach my hand in to scoop out the dead critters and MAN!!!!!!! the water is hot!!!
I guess I bumped the heater when I took off the hood, 98degrees (and no music)...WHEW!
Two percs, two emerald crabs 3 hermits and a turbo snail survived. Remember to watch the knob on those cheap heaters, I will from now on. Just got these guys from a SWF invert package two weeks ago too.

nm reef

bummer......never can be to careful huh.......was lookin at mine a few days back......late at night....and had the thought...."hmmmmmmmm....ain't seen the light on the heater in who knows how long..." checked and it was unpluged.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maestro

thanks for the warning ;) Sorry to hear that. well look to the good side at least not everything is dead :(

heithingi

Rick,
Thanks for the warning and I am sorry about you losing your animals! It is a good thing some survived, I am sure you were relieved about that!
Lynda

Hay rick, sorry to hear it, we dont even have ours plugged in and going to take it out, goes from78 night, daytime, to 82-83 during the day, .
But I know how you feel we had a puffer in hospital tank and someone turned it up all the way :( cooked puffer. 100 degrees, cheep heater in the hospital tank, going to take good one out of the big one and put it in there, cya