Be Prepared.

dsorge

Scenario:
1 50 Gallon Salt Fish Only containing 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Percula Clown, 3 Damsels, 1 Fromia Star, many Hermits, 1 Tigertail Cuke and 1 tiny Yellow Cuke.
1 50 Gallon African Cichlid Tank containing 6 various types, not important to this forum.
1 6 Gallon Salt (hospital) containing 1 Small Chromis and a Hermit Crab.
At about 9:00PM last night, Sacramento was overcome by an amazing rain storm, I'm talking torrential stuff, that lasted about 3 hours. At midnight the power went out. Living in an old downtown historic neighborhood like mine (houses range between 60-100 years old) we are occasionally blessed with power outages, maybe two a year usually not lasting more than 15-45 minutes. Being the systems engineer that I am, I put all electronics on UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply), including my tanks. Because running all the equipment can really drain the UPS battery, I choose to put only the heater and powerheads on battery power. I can usually get about 30 minutes of power for each tank, depending on outside temperature. Anyways, last night the power for the neighborhood goes out at midnight and doesn't come back on until 7:30AM. FYI, our power company, didn't even know until my wife called at 6:00AM. So, that's 7.5 hours that we were dark. Needless to say, my UPS's weren't much good. Within those hours, my tank temps dropped 12F degrees and had no water circulation. The only thing I was really able to do was wrap blankets around the tanks to insulate from the cold drafty house we live in. But, on a happy note, everybody seems fine, keyword being "seems", I'll know more as time progresses. Why am I telling you this story? Well, two reasons. First reason, be prepared. Second reason, to pose the curious question, if you had only one vital piece of aquarium equipment to run off of a UPS battery, what would it be? I came down to two, either the heaters or powerheads. I choose powerheads, for circulation and O2. I encourage fellow fish folks to take stock in what you would do in my situation.

ophiura

Thanks for sharing that!
It is a very difficult choice, and with hurricane season approaching again, I need to think about it :(
I would choose aeration over the other two, personally. And that can be accomplished in several ways. Certainly there are battery operated airstones and the more engineering minded among us find ways to run these in several ways. In addition, I have a scuba tank, and will have that filled. Ever so often...perhaps every hour or two, I'll run that in the tank for a bit.
I'll have to have some insulation - be it styro or whatever - precut to keep on my tank to try and help retain temperature control. During last year, as hurricane Rita approached, I froze loads and loads of bottles of water to use if needed.
But there is a lot more thinking to do.

fishieness

Originally Posted by ophiura
I would choose aeration over the other two, .
come up to CT for an ice storm and i bet your mind would change quickly towards heating. (esspecialy when you are in a 250 year old house that doesnt have the best issolation)
i plan to buy a generator soon. but if my power goes out before i can, here is my plan: we have 3 fireplaces, so ONE of them will be going. i could heat up rocks in the fire and put them in my tank for heat. if airation fails, ill stir it with a spoon. lol
a while ago, like a few years back, i had a 12 gallon freshwater tank. well we had an icestorm and we lost power for 3 days. needless to say it got realy cold. i put my fish in a lobster pot and brought them down by the fire i managed the water temp and stired the water the a laddle with holes in it. everything was perfectly fine!!! they ate all throughout the time they were down there and had no problems adjsuting back. (they were tropical fish, and although hardy, they did need a heater)

ophiura

Yeah, you are absolutely right...in Texas it is not the same concern. A fan would be a better choice for me

jacklax

Try Atlanta...we get the remains of hurricanes and the ice storms...and we aren't set up to handle any of them...luckily not very often though. I lived in the pan handle of Florida for a while...dealt with Erin, Opal, Ivan...no thanks! Atlanta is MUCH better!

fishieness

Originally Posted by ophiura
Yeah, you are absolutely right...in Texas it is not the same concern. A fan would be a better choice for me

its like 2 degrees out right now

jacklax

No way! I could've worn shorts today! I've had a bunch of teammates (Lacrosse) from Ct...they like it down here as well!

unleashed

try michigan we have power outages all the time here no matter what the temp is outside. our last good one was this past xmas day all day no power and 23 people comming for dinner and my oven is gas with dig setting doesnt work without elec.I had to chose between running my gen for either my 3 tanks or cook dinner for 23 people.the power was back on by 5 pm lets just say we ate a ham dinner(turkey wasnt done till 10 pm that night we ate that the next day)lights went off at 9am.I dont use heaters for my reef tank the pumps and lights keep it to warm as it is I have to run fans while the lights are on or ill boil my fish and corals

ophiura

Yeah, its like 80 here.

But we did have a week of winter not so long ago. It got into like the 30s at night.

ridomart

I purchased a generator,$600 & hook up, $200 & run all my aquariums + refig,heat , lights , & plumbing. You get about $5000 invested let alone loving your set up , whats it worth to you?

keleighr

Originally Posted by dsorge
Scenario:
1 50 Gallon Salt Fish Only containing 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Percula Clown, 3 Damsels, 1 Fromia Star, many Hermits, 1 Tigertail Cuke and 1 tiny Yellow Cuke.
1 50 Gallon African Cichlid Tank containing 6 various types, not important to this forum.
1 6 Gallon Salt (hospital) containing 1 Small Chromis and a Hermit Crab.
At about 9:00PM last night, Sacramento was overcome by an amazing rain storm, I'm talking torrential stuff, that lasted about 3 hours. At midnight the power went out. Living in an old downtown historic neighborhood like mine (houses range between 60-100 years old) we are occasionally blessed with power outages, maybe two a year usually not lasting more than 15-45 minutes. Being the systems engineer that I am, I put all electronics on UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply), including my tanks. Because running all the equipment can really drain the UPS battery, I choose to put only the heater and powerheads on battery power. I can usually get about 30 minutes of power for each tank, depending on outside temperature. Anyways, last night the power for the neighborhood goes out at midnight and doesn't come back on until 7:30AM. FYI, our power company, didn't even know until my wife called at 6:00AM. So, that's 7.5 hours that we were dark. Needless to say, my UPS's weren't much good. Within those hours, my tank temps dropped 12F degrees and had no water circulation. The only thing I was really able to do was wrap blankets around the tanks to insulate from the cold drafty house we live in. But, on a happy note, everybody seems fine, keyword being "seems", I'll know more as time progresses. Why am I telling you this story? Well, two reasons. First reason, be prepared. Second reason, to pose the curious question, if you had only one vital piece of aquarium equipment to run off of a UPS battery, what would it be? I came down to two, either the heaters or powerheads. I choose powerheads, for circulation and O2. I encourage fellow fish folks to take stock in what you would do in my situation.

I live south of you and man was that a crazy storm!! We had a teacher at my daughter's school get electucuted!! So far she seems to be ok. Fortunately we didn't lose any power!! Thanks for posting this becauseas of right now I have no back up for if this (WHEN Cause we know it will!)happens!!